This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you think is the main reason behind a failed game?

#11claytonbuckleyPosted 8/20/2013 3:40:08 AM
not enough people bought the game
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/somonah/
#12Combo MasterPosted 8/20/2013 4:21:39 AM
Cause your mom maid it.
---
Combo Master
#13PhilOnDezPosted 8/20/2013 6:01:03 AM
I think unrealistic expectations alongside bloated teams with impossible deadlines has been the main culprit as of late.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#14Knight2520Posted 8/20/2013 6:58:47 AM
I was more thinking about who within the team(s) are contributing to the overall failure? Basically, do you think it's unrealistic goals from senior management, poor talent, crappy QA teams, etc?

Let's consult the PCH crystal ball.
---
The RSX is just there to bottleneck the Cell. Otherwise it would transform into an autobot and destroy your living room - premature tyrant
#15MarceloSampaioPosted 8/20/2013 7:21:24 AM
It depends.

Some games (and I've seen this happen MANY times!) fail because of bad marketing. I've seen some AMAZING games fail because not many people know about them.

Some games also fail because of a bad release. Some companies release games that are just sooo buggy and unpolished, that people start posting that 1 point reviews, and people just avoid them. This doesn't happen often with AAA games (Skyrim was released with TOO MANY BUGS, yet sell like water!), but seems to happen with not-so-well-known companies and games. A recent example is the reboot of Realms of Arkania. It had potential to be one of the best party-based RPGs ever, yet the game was released in an Alpha stage, COMPLETELLY unplayable. And now, few weeks after its release, the game is still a mess, and 1 - 2 point reviews already appeared....
---
:3
If you accept Gaben as your true lard and savior, put this on your sig. :)
#16urtvPosted 8/20/2013 7:22:25 AM
trying to cater to casual and hardcore
#17reincarnator07Posted 8/20/2013 7:58:07 AM
Far too many things can cause a game to fail.

-Poor concept from the very start
-Poor writing
-Executive meddling
-Poor testing phases that let bugs and imbalances get through
-Poor marketing
-Selling it for a poor price (both too much and not enough)
-Not having a focus (trying to cater to everyone virtually never works)
-Technical issues (poorly thought out DRM like that of Simcity
-Bad devs
-Poor release timing (Good luck releasing a shooter in November that isn't COD or Battlefield)
-Unrealistic expectations from a publisher (SE deeming Tomb Raider a failure despite smashing records for the franchise comes to mind)
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero