This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

WD harddrive BLUE vs. BLACK ?

#21Orestes417Posted 8/20/2013 12:12:40 PM
Doesn't matter how fast the SSD is, it's not a drop in replacement yet. The Blacks have a better warranty and generally better build quality than pretty much any hard drive on the market.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#22GipFacePosted 8/20/2013 12:23:34 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
Doesn't matter how fast the SSD is, it's not a drop in replacement yet. The Blacks have a better warranty and generally better build quality than pretty much any hard drive on the market.

SSDs aren't drop-in replacements? Really?

The blacks aren't worth it because WD makes enterprise-grade drives with better reliability. You either go completely economical with Greens or Seagate LPs, or you get WD Re or WD Se drives.

On Newegg the 1TB WD Black is $90 and the 1TB WD RE4 is $110. (WD Se/Re is only available at 2TB+) At that price point you might as well get the RE4 over the Black.
#23Killah PriestPosted 8/20/2013 12:22:00 PM
Black, don't even consider blue or green.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#24Knighted DragonPosted 8/20/2013 12:23:17 PM
Greens aren't worth buying, ever. They have the shortest lifespan by far, they have the slowest transfer rates, they have the worst warranty, and they are like 5 dollars cheaper than a blue and like 15 cheaper than a black but won't last anywhere close as long. If a Green lasts you more than a year or two you are lucky, I know first hand how big of pieces of crap they are
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#25GipFacePosted 8/20/2013 12:24:43 PM
Knighted Dragon posted...
If a Green lasts you more than a year or two you are lucky, I know first hand how big of pieces of crap they are

Did you disable head parking or were you lazy and kept it on? That "feature" is the biggest reason why Greens die early.
#26Orestes417Posted 8/20/2013 12:29:10 PM
No, they aren't drop in replacements. In some use cases the size very much does matter. Even if they were drop in replacements the argument that it's pointless to get better performance because something in a completely class is better still is just idiotic.

The red drives are mechanically the same as the greens btw, they just use different firmware. They also carry the same warranty. I've seen more green drives fail than anything that wasn't the old IBM deathstars.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#27Ragdoll47(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 12:43:21 PM
I'm not getting a SSD anytime soon, let's stay on topic - Black vs. Blue
#28CybercIawPosted 8/20/2013 12:44:55 PM
Blue is just fine, not worth price difference or noise increase to go black. I have a 2x 1 TB blue drives and a 120 GB SSD for programs, I love it.

(Highly recommend the SSD by the way, would be worth it to even go Green and save the extra money for an SSD, or part of one)
---
"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."
#29Fade2black001Posted 8/20/2013 12:57:45 PM
You know what they say....

Once you go black you never go back
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#30GiSS88Posted 8/20/2013 1:12:03 PM
Looking to upgrade also, and these are basically just storage drives. My question is--if you're going to be playing games from the drive, is it worth the jump to the Black driver or is Blue still sufficient? The warranty alone seems worth the price difference so far though.
---
PSN: NoJ87
3DS: 3995-6590-2490 *PM if you add me