This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

kinda glad FFXIV has a sub...

#11badboyPosted 8/21/2013 4:42:26 AM
There are better MMOs without sub fees.
#12Hi CPosted 8/21/2013 4:43:11 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Featherwind posted...
Why exactly do people dislike subs? From my experiences the sub worked really well in both Runescape and WoW. Imo it's far better than microtransactions as the only thing it really encourages from the devs is to keep the game alive and running + occasionally release content to keep people interested.

Play 1 hour a day, 3 days a week.
Then tell me if that sub felt worth it.

Because that is a situation many of us face. F2p or one time buy are much more relaxing, we don't feel the need to find time to play just to get our monies worth.

Protip = find another hobby entitled brat.
---
You'll be my John G.
#13Cool_Dude667Posted 8/21/2013 4:54:20 AM
Worst part about paying subs for a MMORPG is you never feel like playing many other different games because your time has to be spent raiding or leveling. Atleast thats how I felt.

I missed many great games that are still in my backlog to this day, and I quit WoW mid WotLK.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#14happyscrub1Posted 8/21/2013 5:24:31 AM
99% of people who say they won't sub but say they played WoW, played WoW.

Played

ed

past tense

---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#15blakegallowayPosted 8/21/2013 5:29:59 AM
happyscrub1 posted...

Played

ed

past tense

Yeah I don't get it either. They need to chill with the "Sub based MMO's are like heroin, I just can't waste another 6 year of my life like that" rhetoric. Neither the game or the sub had anything to do with you being a recluse.
#16SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2013 5:34:46 AM
Hi C posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Featherwind posted...
Why exactly do people dislike subs? From my experiences the sub worked really well in both Runescape and WoW. Imo it's far better than microtransactions as the only thing it really encourages from the devs is to keep the game alive and running + occasionally release content to keep people interested.

Because that is a situation many of us face. F2p or one time buy are much more relaxing, we don't feel the need to find time to play just to get our monies worth.

I have lots of hobbies. All of them more fun than the typical grind fest of MMOs.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#17Hi CPosted 8/21/2013 6:34:28 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Hi C posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Featherwind posted...

I have lots of hobbies. All of them more fun than the typical grind fest of MMOs.

Good then shut your mouth and go do them instead of trying to change other peoples to suit you, just because "you're you".
---
You'll be my John G.
#18o0stoneduk0oPosted 8/21/2013 6:35:25 AM
Im getting lazy at the moment, enjoying not going to the gym and lazing around playing games. I am losing motivation.
---
I don't smoke dope, I don't drink bourbon, all I want to do is shake my turban.
#19SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2013 6:35:58 AM
Hi C posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Hi C posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Featherwind posted...

Good then shut your mouth and go do them instead of trying to change other peoples to suit you, just because "you're you".

Enjoy your nearly empty game.

Apparently SE forgot most of its fans are in their 20's now.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#20FeatherwindPosted 8/21/2013 6:46:27 AM
happyscrub1 posted...

Played

ed

past tense

I don't get what you are trying to suggest.

It didn't last everyone forever which is true but so be it. It is reasonable for people to say they considered the WoW experience a "success" even if they stopped playing it at some point. It was released so many years ago that it's possible for someone to say that they've played it a lot without currently playing it. Many don't regret playing WoW and would like to experience it again. Even though it has lately begun to lose subs many people still play it.

If people don't find new MMOs exciting because they are compared to and overshadowed by WoW experiences then a good solution would be devs making better and more interesting MMOs. Of course you can't get players by making mediocre games and saying you want players. WoW was hardly the first MMO and there is really nothing special about it. If the Elder Scrolls Online somehow managed to be an excellent game - either something new and interesting or "pull the same strings" as WoW but better - I would play it. If it is not then I won't play it and I won't sub. Actually you could say that the reason I quit before Cata was that I thought that I wouldn't enjoy it as much and it would get overshadowed by my past WoW experiences and other forms of spending time - Blizzard themselves failed to make an interesting MMO experience and sell it to me which caused me to not sub.

In fact I don't hate microtransactions per se. If a F2P MMO with microtransactions came out that was good in ways that matter and used microtransactions in a way I liked I'd play it. In the end how I pay for a game matters little as long as the experience is good. But judging from my experiences devs have troubles making microtransactions work well while I have played two major games where subs did work imo. Sub helps the developers to create a good game by forcing them to keep the game alive and interesting.