This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

more fans on cpu=quieter?

#11ElDudorinoPosted 8/20/2013 1:03:19 PM
Oh, to give a more direct answer to the question, I've definitely found GPU upgrades to reduce fan noise in some cases. Depends on which card you end up getting, though. Some cards are just loud and inefficient.
#12Orestes417Posted 8/20/2013 1:06:39 PM
You've also got to consider wear on the fans themselves. Bearings don't last forever after all
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#13Kingmichael1337Posted 8/20/2013 1:07:13 PM
it might

more fans doesn't necessarily mean it'll be louder; the noise you'll hear is going to be the noise that comes from the loudest fan

a simple way to make your computer quieter is to use larger fans; like, 140mm fans. all of my case fans are 140mm; my cpu fan is 120mm and the 3 fans on my video card are a bit smaller, but it's still really silent

using a case with sound dampening features helps, too. fractal design makes some good ones. i'm using an arc midi r2; on the highest fan setting, the sound is noticeable, but it's a soft, pleasant sort of hum that i don't mind. on the lower settings, the computer almost sounds like it's turned off, and the temps stay low.

that isn't even their most quiet case. the fractal design define r4 is their super silent case. i think it's on sale on newegg atm.
---
I'M GAY.
#14fuzzymanPosted 8/20/2013 1:11:36 PM
I've got a well ventilated case with 10 total fans and it is virtually silent

yes, the trick is to use low-RPM fans, under 2000, and generally anything under 1000 is going to be silent
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg
#15fataliPosted 8/20/2013 1:18:47 PM
Usually, the cards with 2 fans also have a better heatsink than the reference design, with that the fans they use only need to run at 50% or less of the speed a single fan in the original design would have to run in order to cool the card, the lower speed, bigger size and improved cooler all help to reduce the noise.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.