This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who else has satellite internet?

#11rpgianPosted 8/20/2013 5:00:02 PM
I have Exede sat internet at home. Proper at work.

Not unusual to get this speed variation. Its EA servers not you. Your connection in how it works, high ping and all is a MINORITY. Ea just didn't put in quality time or money to support you fully while steam did. I get this problem on my dl manager all the time. Some things show up downloading at 2MB (16mbps..they appear differently I forget the math) others at 150kb or 1.2mbps

Its just the quality of them in support to you. Not any throttling involved. I have used my vpn to test that, have port routed udp/tcp etc.. No difference noted.

You might try plugging directly into the modem,disabling firewalls, updating modem, disabling any bandwidth priorities you may have on your router etc but I doubt it will get you anywhere.

Good tip for your isp though. Nerd it up and properly learn how to schedule your downloads (ensuring you reconnect dropped connections as it always drops once free time starts). That pathetic day time data they offer goes away totally for 5 hours each night since most customers are asleep and congestion isn't an issue. You could squeeze 40 gigs or more a night out if your conn is maxed. A tb or more a month if your appetite is insatiable but I'd imagine you'd be full for quite a while after a month or two. Cable is better but with their limits you can make your only feasible option the best option of them all...data wise at least.

Data caps suck. If anything they make me hoard and use more because a false shortage. If everyone just provided service w/o restriction I'd be more likely to pass trying most things out.

There is nothing you can do about latency though so multiplayer will always be weak (I like turn based strategy multiplayers opposed to real time as the problems you got are less severe). Beaming into space and back is not something you can workaround.
#12Retrowire(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 5:25:30 PM
rpgian posted...
I have Exede sat internet at home. Proper at work.

Not unusual to get this speed variation. Its EA servers not you. Your connection in how it works, high ping and all is a MINORITY. Ea just didn't put in quality time or money to support you fully while steam did. I get this problem on my dl manager all the time. Some things show up downloading at 2MB (16mbps..they appear differently I forget the math) others at 150kb or 1.2mbps

Its just the quality of them in support to you. Not any throttling involved. I have used my vpn to test that, have port routed udp/tcp etc.. No difference noted.

You might try plugging directly into the modem,disabling firewalls, updating modem, disabling any bandwidth priorities you may have on your router etc but I doubt it will get you anywhere.

Good tip for your isp though. Nerd it up and properly learn how to schedule your downloads (ensuring you reconnect dropped connections as it always drops once free time starts). That pathetic day time data they offer goes away totally for 5 hours each night since most customers are asleep and congestion isn't an issue. You could squeeze 40 gigs or more a night out if your conn is maxed. A tb or more a month if your appetite is insatiable but I'd imagine you'd be full for quite a while after a month or two. Cable is better but with their limits you can make your only feasible option the best option of them all...data wise at least.

Data caps suck. If anything they make me hoard and use more because a false shortage. If everyone just provided service w/o restriction I'd be more likely to pass trying most things out.

There is nothing you can do about latency though so multiplayer will always be weak (I like turn based strategy multiplayers opposed to real time as the problems you got are less severe). Beaming into space and back is not something you can workaround.

I sadly thought this was the situation. Still, it's good to hear from another exede user about the dilemma. Thanks for your help!
---
Not changing this sig until Flipnote3D is released in NA. Started August/12/13