This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games that control like Alien Swarm/Hotline miami?

#1BogePosted 8/20/2013 2:45:36 PM
I want a slower paced game that controls with the overhead camera and mouse aiming like Alien Swarm or Hotline miami, but I want it more adventurous/RPGish.

Anything out there like that, or should I start a Kickstarter? :)
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#2TheSchrefPosted 8/20/2013 2:52:30 PM(edited)
Old Zelda games.

Edit: Oh, you want to use your mouse... hmmm...
Hotline Miami 2 is coming out next year.
#3ZukkusPosted 8/20/2013 3:04:49 PM
While not adventure/RPG, the Alien Shooter games have a similar play style, only with up to 100 enemies on screen at once and things get pretty fast paced.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#4endless7Posted 8/20/2013 3:45:06 PM
^
And you can get it cheap right now, too. http://www.bundlestars.com/deals/stellar-bundle-indie-gorefest/
---
"It is better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not."--Andre Gide
#5PolarisPosted 8/20/2013 4:33:23 PM
If I recall correctly, the Shadowgrounds games play like this. That was the series Frozen Byte worked on before Trine became so successful. The first one was a lot better balanced than the sequel, but the sequel had cooler character development.

Diablo style games also match the description you wrote (overhead view with mouse aim), although I have a feeling that's not quite what you meant.
#6SienrurouniPosted 8/20/2013 4:50:34 PM
Well obviously there's Binding of Isaac and another new roguelike on steam that I don't recall the name of. I can't really think of anything slower paced that plays like it though. It's a playstyle I like so I'll keep trying.
---
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane
#7PolarisPosted 8/20/2013 5:24:31 PM
Are you talking about The Pit? That's pretty good, matches description perfectly, but it's turn based. TC didn't say anything about realtime, though. Only problem I have with The Pit is the developers are really rude and full of themselves. I reported a bug to them and was informed they would rather have bugs in the game than deal with every little thing that comes up. Game is pretty good, though.
#8Cool_Dude667Posted 8/20/2013 8:53:04 PM
Polaris posted...
Are you talking about The Pit? That's pretty good, matches description perfectly, but it's turn based. TC didn't say anything about realtime, though. Only problem I have with The Pit is the developers are really rude and full of themselves. I reported a bug to them and was informed they would rather have bugs in the game than deal with every little thing that comes up. Game is pretty good, though.

Sounds like they won't be in business for long.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#9Auron_59261Posted 8/20/2013 9:10:11 PM
inb4 Bastion!
---
i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz [] HIS IceQ X^2 7970 |1200|1600|3GB| [] 16GB Ripjaws Z 1866 [] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [] 250GB Samsung 840 [] 2TB Barracuda [] CX 600 PSU [] H80i
#10Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 9:15:44 PM(edited)
I feel only a few of you know what I'm looking for. WASD controls to move up, down, left, and right on the screen, and then mouse movement for aiming your gun.

I would like it to be realtime, but slower paced, more tactical than a mindless run and gun.

I can see the game in my mind, but I've never seen a game like it and it's bugging me that it hasn't been done.

EDIT: Yes, Alien shooter is that kind of control, but not slow and serious like I want it. I'd also played Shadow Grounds. If I recall right, the camera followed your aim or something odd, but that's a good suggestion...again, not the right pacing though. I'd love something more like the old school Rainbow Six games with this kind of overhead view and controls.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.