This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Computer slows down when downloading?

#1rpgianPosted 8/20/2013 3:18:23 PM
Sometimes when downloading @ my peak my laptop becomes near useless. Video,audio files stutter, games have long delayed loads, browser slows.

What would effect this? Its not ram or cpu as plenty is still available. I'm thinking I might be pressing the write speed on the hard drive since its a large and cheap one but short of getting a new one is there anything I can do to prioritize my functions over the writing or just any work around.
#2IzicialPosted 8/20/2013 3:24:57 PM
Its because your hard drive is being used to the max so its trying to save the files and load the files your using at the same time.

Its the reason a lot of people use two hard drives in their computers.
#3rpgian(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 3:28:17 PM
I actually have 2 hard drives in mine. The data/ non OS drive is pretty much full sadly.

Would changing the save to location to the non OS drive resolve this problem?
#4JKatarnPosted 8/20/2013 4:20:10 PM
Do you by any chance use an SSD cache on one of those drives? I was having similar issues, system would slow to a crawl while Steam was downloading/during heavy hard drive access in general, disabled the SSD acceleration and no more problem.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#5rpgian(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 4:32:18 PM
^ Not sure. Pretty much using it as it came default. How/where could I check that (win7)?
Don't have any 3rd party management software installed just the core stuff on windows.
#6Black_King945Posted 8/21/2013 12:10:25 AM
What laptop do you have? What specs?

The browser issues are definitely explained by the bandwidth usage, and as you already said you are putting stress on the hard drive which slows down every other task performed.

A solid state would definitely help this issue to a degree, depending on your other specs.
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W
#7SnickleseedPosted 8/21/2013 12:14:19 AM
rpgian posted...
I actually have 2 hard drives in mine. The data/ non OS drive is pretty much full sadly.

Would changing the save to location to the non OS drive resolve this problem?

You said it's a laptop. Are you sure it doesn't just have one drive, that is partitioned into "OS" and "data" partitions? Many laptops are shipped like that, and it's kind of rare to have a laptop with more than one physical drive
---
i7 3770 | 8GB | Agility3 120GB SSD | 2TB HD | HD5850 | HX520w | CM Centurion 5
#8rpgian(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 1:54:25 AM
No. 2 seperate hdd's @ 1tb each. Its a slightly improved Asus G57vw.
#9claytonbuckleyPosted 8/21/2013 2:32:33 AM
This was already explained, but i'll try dumb it down a bit more.

If the download is going to the C drive, play a movie or music or whatever from the D drive. If your laptop is kinda rubbish, the movie/music player might need to be on the D drive as well.

I'll say it again just to make sure. Put the download in a different drive to the stuff you want to do while downloading.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/somonah/
#10JKatarnPosted 8/21/2013 10:21:50 AM(edited)
claytonbuckley posted...
This was already explained, but i'll try dumb it down a bit more.

If the download is going to the C drive, play a movie or music or whatever from the D drive. If your laptop is kinda rubbish, the movie/music player might need to be on the D drive as well.

I'll say it again just to make sure. Put the download in a different drive to the stuff you want to do while downloading.

For one thing, in all but a few cases in my 20 some years of computing I have been able to use the computer just fine while downloading/doing other things with the HDD without the level of slowdown TC describes, for another, running movies/files off of another drive wouldn't do TC any good if the bottleneck is all the I/O commands moving through the SATA/RAID controller tying up the CPU. It's most likely an issue with the drive being too full/fragmented, or a SATA configuration issue or some form of malware running in the background.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES