This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I need help making a tough decision

#1Sparta19Posted 8/20/2013 3:31:49 PM
Hey guys, let's cut right to chase. I have recently cut a lot of bad habits out of my life and am not swamped in bills any more, however, my laptop conveniently messed up recently. The laptop's power jack became loose, and now won't charge unless I push really hard in specific angles, which isn't making the jack any more healthier.

So up until today, I was fine with purchasing some tools and solder equipment to attempt to fix it myself, but I looked at this poor laptop and it has gone through some bad times. It's missing a few buttons and the top right portion of the screen has a lot of messed up pixels because water was spilled on it last year. It also started to crash on it's own (it would randomly pull up a blue screen and then restart the computer). Simply put, I am considering purchasing a new one altogether.

The thing is, my current laptop is an ASUS N53SV, which was really good when I got it and is still good. This laptop really spoiled me, it had a great HD screen, great audio and ran like a champ (besides the random crashes), I just don't think I can settle for less. The problem is that my laptop costed me $1300 when I got it and was on sale at the time, to get a similar working laptop would probably cost me roughly the same or more and that's going to be hard on my wallet.

Now for the grand questions!:

1) Is it worth it, to simply go through with the solder attempt and continue using this laptop?
or
2) Should I get a brand new one? If so, what model would you recommend? (I've been eyeing the Alienware 14 on their site which is $1199 plus tax+shipping, but I always see people telling others not to get them, it also has a smaller screen >_>)
---
And on the 8th day God said "Let there be fivehead!" and it was good. - wonderbreadman
#2Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 8:58:19 AM
Bump.
---
And on the 8th day God said "Let there be fivehead!" and it was good. - wonderbreadman
#3OldSorrowPosted 8/21/2013 9:08:06 AM
Stop buying a laptop and build a desktop.
#4XNo_FearXPosted 8/21/2013 9:10:41 AM
Same thing happened to my Asus laptop recently. I just bought a new charger
---
PSN ID: Ctx_Ghost
FC: 1392 - 4747 - 3214
#5Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 9:32:52 AM
OldSorrow posted...

My own desktop set-up sounds nice, but i'm not in my own home a lot besides the weekends, and even then I spend most of my free time doing other things. I simply prefer laptops a lot more.

XNo_FearX posted...

I would if that were the problem, but my problem lies within the actual power jack....literally.

One day later and i'm still having a hard time making a decision on what I would like to do. I still want to go through with the soldering attempt (I kind of need to in order to extract all of my files from the HDD without one of those USB recovery things), but deep down I want to get a brand new laptop. My mind says yes and my wallet also says yes, but it's glaring at me telling me to go easy on it.
---
#6XNo_FearXPosted 8/21/2013 9:36:16 AM
Sparta19 posted...
OldSorrow posted...

My own desktop set-up sounds nice, but i'm not in my own home a lot besides the weekends, and even then I spend most of my free time doing other things. I simply prefer laptops a lot more.

XNo_FearX posted...

I would if that were the problem, but my problem lies within the actual power jack....literally.

One day later and i'm still having a hard time making a decision on what I would like to do. I still want to go through with the soldering attempt (I kind of need to in order to extract all of my files from the HDD without one of those USB recovery things), but deep down I want to get a brand new laptop. My mind says yes and my wallet also says yes, but it's glaring at me telling me to go easy on it.

Are you sure? I thought that my laptop was the problem for not charging but it was just my charger. I had to move it around in a specific way just to get a charge
---
#7XNo_FearXPosted 8/21/2013 9:37:28 AM
Also if it was me I would have just bought a new laptop if mine was busted. Sure it would be hard on the wallet but if you NEED it then its worth it.
---
#8PhilOnDezPosted 8/21/2013 9:44:14 AM
Are you sure soldering it would even work? The power jack went bad on my brother's Asus and the only fix was to completely replace the motherboard.

As for a replacement, I didn't look at how powerful yours is and you didn't say what you do with it but you can get a y410 or 510 for under $800 on sale and it seems like they're always on sale. They come with a Haswell i7 and a 750m.

If that's not enough power xoticpc usually has something with an i7 and 765m for under $1000, though you'll need to get your own OS. You should be able to use the one on your current laptop without too much trouble though, if it won't activate just give MS a call.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#9Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 9:56:55 AM(edited)
I initially thought it was my charger as well, but the power jack is really loose and the only time I can get a charge from is when I pull it towards me with a disturbing amount of force at an upwards angle. Hmm....now you got me thinking if I should buy a new charger and test it since my current one is quite out of shape, but that would be a waste of 50-80 dollars if it proves not to be the case.

Still, my actual questions remains unanswered, is the repair process even worth it? What model would you recommend to buy? (I know I can simply google it but I would love recommendations from people who know what they're doing, aka this board)

EDIT: This post was directed to XNo_FearX

@PhilOnDez - Yes, soldering would work, it was actually recommended to me by a friend of mine and i've read/watched a few tutorials on how to repair it (man does that sound inexperienced just typing it lol).

As for my laptop's specs, I don't have the actual figures but I can easily get the link on their website if you wish. I do a relative amount of gaming and video editing when I can so the specs were well-used.
---
#10kyler45Posted 8/21/2013 9:46:15 AM
Glad to hear you cut some bad habits out of your life :) ! I'd honestly recommend upgrading, if it's missing some keys and is having some bumps it's probably not worth keeping anymore.
---
Xbox Live: Kyler45
AC:CF 0605-3418-4438 Name: Kyler Town: Larova