This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have a question for people who are good with audio

#1sonicteam2k1Posted 8/20/2013 3:58:45 PM
I have a 2.1 set of PC speakers. I want to use the the 3.5mm out on my laptop to get sound through the speakers and also use the stereo out on my TV. I need a spliter that will split the signal correctly so I can have both the TV via stereo and the laptop via 3.5mm plugged in at the same time without having to switch them?

I have some standard splitter but they do not split the sound correctly. you get sound from the TV in one speaker and sound from the laptop in the other speaker.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#2gastamanPosted 8/20/2013 4:10:37 PM(edited)
TV--RCA---RCA-3.5mm adapter---------------|
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.5mm Y-spliter-----------------2.1 Speaker System
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
Laptop--3.5mm-----------------------------|

---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#3Z2488Posted 8/20/2013 4:11:46 PM
If you don't mind having your laptop on whenever you use your TV, you could also use the RCA->3.5mm as a line in through the headphone jack on your laptop. Set the microphone properties in the control panel to listen on the device(and the level to about 5), and then just plug in the speakers like normal for the laptop. I have my PS3's sound connected this way because my main monitor is also my main TV screen, but this setup might not work for everybody.
---
i5 2500k at 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 670 - MSI Z68A-GD80 - Seasonic X 750W - GSkill 16GB - Crucial m4 128GB - NZXT Beta EVO
#4sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 4:58:11 PM
thanks guys. I figured out why I was only getting sound out of one speaker as well. The splitter I was using was fine but I was using an extention cable that only had mono sound (only one black ring around the end) lol

But the Y adapter I see i need is a female to double female end. I have the rest of the cables
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own