This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Random freezes, and then no signal?

#1ajko000Posted 8/20/2013 8:40:40 PM
So I open Chrome, then I keep getting freeze patches, and then eventually a "No Signal" to my monitor.

The computer itself was still running, so I hit my power button and it shut off, and just before the signal restored and it showed the Windows 7 "Shutting Down..." screen.

What I did before this happened:

Updated my NVIDIA Driver to 320.49, this however was two days before. I didn't know how far behind I was, but this new thing, NVIDIA GeForce Experience came along with it. My GPU is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

I exited the NVIDIA GeForce Experience, I figured I wouldn't need it all the time right? Could this be why? There were still 2 processes running however. The icon being there was annoying me, so I just right-click and hit "Exit". Does it close anything else?

I don't think it's my HDD, I have a light on my case detecting whether or not it's being read. I rebooted and pop, no more freezes. The thing is though, I closed the GeForce Experience yesterday and much earlier than when it started freezing today.

Also, from what I could tell, it wasn't mucking up with Skype/Steam, only Chrome. Then I find out I need an Adobe AIR Update from Avast, and I also did a scan.

What could it have been?

If I sound scattered it's because it caught me off guard, and really freaked me out. Educate me please. I thought something was dying.
#2Vindication123Posted 8/20/2013 8:56:09 PM
Who knows...
It sounds like a file was damaged during an update.

Easiesty thing to do is to clear out all temp folders and prefetch, then reset. Works, if it's an update issue.
---
'The Intel i7-3770 if you're rich, the i5 2500K, i53570 or i53570k if you're doing okay, the AMD A10-5800K or i3 if you're just about hanging in there.'
#3ajko000(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 9:00:15 PM
What is prefetch? Also, how many is "all" temp folders? Would they have already been cleared if I cleared my browsing data (all of it), ran CCleaner, and rebooted? I did update a few days ago, maybe a week..? Idk, but thanks for the option/info.
#4ajko000(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 11:12:42 PM
Anyone else have any input on this?

I know GPU's are often responsible for black screens and freezing, at least that's what I've heard and experienced from my social circle, we're all nerds but we don't get too much into it because we're too paranoid.
#5machetemanPosted 8/20/2013 11:26:58 PM(edited)
ajko000 posted...
Updated my NVIDIA Driver to 320.49, this however was two days before. I didn't know how far behind I was, but this new thing, NVIDIA GeForce Experience came along with it. My GPU is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

It's this. I don't know why its not documented, but its this. I had the EXACT same thing. My computer would hang the DAY after I installed the 320.49 drivers. I googled it and found almost no evidence pointing to it other than a few posts here and there, but its the drivers.

I kept getting these hangs and in the back of my head was planning on rolling back to 314.xx drivers if they kept happening. They never stopped. I immediately did a complete driver reinstall using 314.xx and I haven't had a freeze or hang since...its been almost three weeks.

Rollback to 314.xx

edit: if this hang/freeze only occurs on 320.xx/560ti combinations, I can see why there isn't much documentation for it, which is maybe why google isn't much help. but believe me, the 320.xx and/or GeFroce Experience are the clear culprit.
#6ajko000(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 11:34:56 PM
Thank goodness... Finally the paranoia is subsiding. Thanks. I thought my GPU was dying D:.