This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going to college, need a laptop that is mobile.

#1OnlineBurnPosted 8/20/2013 10:23:49 PM
Okay guys, I'm currently working with an ASUS G60VX laptop.
2.13Ghz Dual core
4GB Ram
1GB Nvidia 260M

I've had no complaints with it for the past two-ish years, it's handled my gaming binges pretty well and I've had no problems with ASUS's hardware. Aside from it having a 16 inch screen size, being thick as hell, having a huge wall outlet adapter, and feeling like a when carried I love it.

Now I'm going to college in two weeks more or less, so I'd like to know what I can do about this great, but immobile laptop of mine. I'm doing an illustration program so screen size really matters to me. I don't think I need extreme battery life either. I'd like something I can bring along on my commute to school while actually being able to carry other things in my bag without breaking my back.

What specs should I be looking at in this replacement? How much money should I be preparing to pull from my bank account? Any brand names/product lines/specific laptops to reccomend? Much appreciated guys.
---
--
-
#2OnlineBurn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 9:28:07 PM
bump
---
--
-
#3TwinqePosted 8/21/2013 9:39:50 PM
Here is the big question: Do you want to game with it?
---
3DS FC: 4511-1880-0614 | Steam: Twinqe
#4BowsaaPosted 8/21/2013 9:47:43 PM
Tag.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#5LaMichael_JamesPosted 8/21/2013 10:05:11 PM
good screen size (15" and up) or screen resolution (1920x1080 and better)
gaming?
is 15"6 @ 6 lbs too heavy

????
---
GOAT
#6OnlineBurn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 10:30:38 PM
Twinqe posted...
Here is the big question: Do you want to game with it?

I'll be fine without heavy gaming since it seems dedicated GPU's really stack on the weight and thickness. I would like te luxury of gaming however, so if there is something that can top or atleast match my 260M's performance that's be great.

LaMichael_James posted...
good screen size (15" and up) or screen resolution (1920x1080 and better)
gaming?
is 15"6 @ 6 lbs too heavy

????

Yep, I'd say it's too heavy at 7.3 lbs, and pretty thick at 4-3.5 cm thick...
As for gaming, see above

Thanks guys.
---
--
-
#7CloudZ1116Posted 8/22/2013 12:11:35 AM
Get a ThinkPad. I'd suggest a T530s or a W530, depending on your budget and requirements. I'm currently using a T430s (smaller screen) for work and absolutely loving it.
---
Intel Core i7 2600k | XFX Radeon HD 7950 | MSI P67A-G45 | Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 16GB | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Cavair Black 1TB | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
#8thejectPosted 8/22/2013 2:04:10 AM
Lenovo y410p or y510p (if you absolutely must insist on a 15.6 inch screen.)

It'll be the most bang for your buck and handle most things. y410p entry/base model with a 1366x768p screen with a single gt 750m will give you the best performance while gaming plugged in and the best battery performance while out and in class, bout 4-6 hours browsing per charge, settings pending.

The reason I say go with the y410p is because 1366x768 looks good on a 14 inch screen, despite what some people claim, anything higher and it's just a battery hog/difficult to view for most people. Also, the 750m performs exceptionally well at that resolution, you can play nearly any modern game on high with shadows off or on low and no AA, of course there are a few exceptions, but you'll be able to slice through anything on low at the very least. Also, the size is good for chucking in a back pack and the battery pack is smaller if you need to take it with you.

If you want the y510p 15.6 inch model, get the dual sli or don't get it at all because it's 1080p and you'll need the extra power, but you lose a cd drive if for some reason you need it.

Both laptops carry haswell i7s, have good build quality, backlit keyboard, 1tb hdds, both have at least 8gb ram (for multitasking purposes of course), both have the same design, just a different size. The screen resolution really matters here. 720p will always look best on smaller, native screens and I highly reccomend it over the 1080p for what you intend to use it on.

Also remember, the majority of PS3/360 games are in 720p, scaled up in most cases, so if you're fine with that, it'll be good for you in the long run.

The reason I push that is for the simple fact that it's only 749 for the y410p with school and site discounts. That EASILY destroys every single laptop in the same cost bracket and undercuts most of the competition by a few hundred, from what I have found so far and I've been shopping around for some time now.

If you hate windows 8 and prefer Mac OS, well you really only have the option of a Macbook Air in the smaller budget range, they're the cheapest they've ever been, have pretty decent solid state drives, intel HD5000 can play most things on low to medium at or even above 30-40 fps, just always shut off shadows and you're good, just make sure to grab the haswell i7 if you play cpu intensive games and always grab the 8gb ram because it's soldered in and you WILL need it to compensate for the hd5000 using up ram to run games. it comes up to about 1k i believe with school discounts at the moment.

I've had several laptops with GPUS over the years. Nvidia gt X50+ series gpus can do well, with lower resolutions and less shadows. Intel is doing well with internal GPUs now, but it's very limited atm, I can't recommend getting any intel HD UNDER the 5000, so 5000, 5100, 5200 iris pro are the only decent ones at the moment, expect next year to yield some pretty decent results. The trinity APU from AMD isn't so bad for mobility and budget either. Acer is currently selling an A6-series laptop atm that can do "ok" for most things on low and no shadows.

I've been typing for a few minutes, i don't even know if you posted a budget, so sorry if I over shot, just trying to shoot some ideas your way.
---
"Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive."
#9thejectPosted 8/22/2013 2:19:07 AM
Just saw that you were asking how much you'd need to spend;

If you're ok in going with the Lenovo, 800-1200, depending on the model of course and specs you choose. For the Apple Macbook Air about 1000-1300. It really depends on your needs here. Ultra portable vs more maxing out of game graphics vs size vs speed.

Also, for anyone about to jump on my arse about even suggesting the Macbook Air, consider that it's the only laptop that can actually play a few games (go youtube the mid 2013 model) with a legitimate 12 hour battery life, really high build quality, can take a hell of a beating (watch the "Always On - Macbook Air Extreme Torture Tests" video on youtube for an example), costs less than most windows options for ultrabooks with the same specs and is extremely portable and slim, which is literally perfect for college.

Also, again, it's a portable device, take the 720p screen, it'll make your gpus perform better for on the go mobile purposes, save the 900p/1080p for your desktop.

Anyways back to the point, below the 700$ mark is where you're really stretching and picking at nothing for "gaming" laptops. Todays market is very different, especially if you're willing to compromise on the resolution you play and how high you toss everything but even with that, below that amount, on average you're really pushing it. Unless of course you find a good deal somewhere else that cuts the price even more.
---
"Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive."
#10Jiblet98Posted 8/22/2013 2:27:28 AM
I recommend this. I think this suits best for you ;)
http://www.dailysteampunk.com/steampunk_laptop.jpg