This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For those who are not going to play FFXIV 2.0

#11BlackmonPosted 8/23/2013 6:20:11 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
TheOpposite posted...
I'm not playing it because it's an online RPG. I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee for any game or the fact that its servers will eventually shut down. Final Fantasy needs to stay offline. The resources used to keep these online games going could be better used to ensure the next offline Final Fantasy isn't awful, considering apart from X, XII, Dimensions, After Years and the PSP/GBA versions of IV-VI the series has been going downhill for the past 12 years.

Meanwhile 11 years later FFXI is still online.

Though after it got released, every Final Fantasy there after became really bad. IMO.

FFXI is still online because it came out before WoW came out. It was one of the most popular MMOs before WoW came so it already got a lot of players invested on it. People should look in the now and not before. Every, if not, most games that were p2p that came out after WoW are either shut down or turned F2p. While MMOs that came came before WoW were either still surviving, or shut down after 5 or so years.

Anyone know if any P2P games increased in Sub population over the last few years or are they slowly declining or staying flat?
---
Http://www.Blackmon.com/
#12r0ge00Posted 8/23/2013 6:24:41 AM
I have no interest in it right now. Might check it out later when things are more established. If it's anything like 11 though, it will be way too grindy.
#13Reaper_MinionPosted 8/23/2013 6:33:31 AM(edited)
1) It's an MMO. That's a genre I tend to avoid for the most part.
2) I never believed in the concept of subscription fees. If I'm going to play an MMO, it's going to be B2P or F2P.

Blackmon posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
TheOpposite posted...
I'm not playing it because it's an online RPG. I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee for any game or the fact that its servers will eventually shut down. Final Fantasy needs to stay offline. The resources used to keep these online games going could be better used to ensure the next offline Final Fantasy isn't awful, considering apart from X, XII, Dimensions, After Years and the PSP/GBA versions of IV-VI the series has been going downhill for the past 12 years.

Meanwhile 11 years later FFXI is still online.

Though after it got released, every Final Fantasy there after became really bad. IMO.

FFXI is still online because it came out before WoW came out. It was one of the most popular MMOs before WoW came so it already got a lot of players invested on it. People should look in the now and not before. Every, if not, most games that were p2p that came out after WoW are either shut down or turned F2p. While MMOs that came came before WoW were either still surviving, or shut down after 5 or so years.

Anyone know if any P2P games increased in Sub population over the last few years or are they slowly declining or staying flat?

There's a huge decline in subscriptions. To add to that, there's only a dozen or less (forgot the exact number) surviving P2P games. All the others became F2P or flat out died.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#14Mogu_MoguPosted 8/23/2013 6:50:35 AM(edited)
Subscription fee. I never played EVE, WoW, or any other game that required I pay monthly just to play it. No game has ever been worth that much to me that I'd commit myself like that nor do I ever have that much time that I will feel it was worth the investment.

EDIT: It's like this to me.
Can I spare 15 or even 150 a month for a game? Yes, I can. Do I want to? No.
Why not? I have many other things to do. If I spend 15 on a game per month I feel like it's an obligation to then play it for a certain amount of time. When it becomes like this it really irks me that I pay 15 a month but can only play it at most 20-30 hours per week but then some other person pays 15 per month and gets to play it 90+ hours a week. How is this fair to me in any way?

---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#15r0ge00Posted 8/23/2013 7:02:27 AM
Mogu_Mogu posted...
When it becomes like this it really irks me that I pay 15 a month but can only play it at most 20-30 hours per week but then some other person pays 15 per month and gets to play it 90+ hours a week. How is this fair to me in any way?

20-30 hours a week is already a lot. 90+ hours a week is silly, that's 12+ hours a day. Maybe 1% of all people play that much, probably less.
#16Reaper_MinionPosted 8/23/2013 7:05:09 AM
r0ge00 posted...
Mogu_Mogu posted...
When it becomes like this it really irks me that I pay 15 a month but can only play it at most 20-30 hours per week but then some other person pays 15 per month and gets to play it 90+ hours a week. How is this fair to me in any way?

20-30 hours a week is already a lot. 90+ hours a week is silly, that's 12+ hours a day. Maybe 1% of all people play that much, probably less.

You are underestimating MMO players.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#17fuzzymanPosted 8/23/2013 7:13:18 AM(edited)
I'm not really sure what will happen

It's not like FFXI much at all, just the crafting and the style

the battle system leaves a lot to be desired but maybe I'm being an ass

I think I'd be a good tank but not a good DPS, like the DPS for me looks more pick-up-and-play

It does not look like a game with as much strategy or preparation involved as with FFXI

I mean, seriously, it's early in the life cycle, but FFXI? It had to begin an MMO genre for Final Fantasy

Now they've just torn everything apart and basically made FFXV online

But FFXV sounds like something you'd hope to get 100 hours out of

It reminds me of FFXlll but not in a good way. I could play that for 60 hours. But the paradigm thing, it's a reminder how dead simple the combo spam is in ARR

Eventually yes, you'll have less TP and more auto-attacking, and it will feel like FFXI more, but it lacks something I can't quite point out

It feels to me like TP Spam is going to come back as well, I think the combo bonus is meant to sketch this out, but not when one risks missing a bonus attack and is using a weaker spellmove to make the combo, FFXI had the same problem sort of, SORT OF, you still had a strength and defense system that gave you big mob killers and little mob killers, and SKILL ****ing CHAINS, which ARR has NONE :(
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg
#18daveyman23Posted 8/23/2013 7:10:58 AM
TheOpposite posted...

You say all this as if FFXI wasnt successful
#19fuzzymanPosted 8/23/2013 7:26:00 AM(edited)
on the positive note I think they made a clear cut move making leveling a really easy thing to do solo

you can do dungeons still and technically party together without the face of "clearing" the dungeon

and there's guildleve or something like that, but there's just solo leve too

Fate actually prompts the solo people to help out, that's neat

But I'm not a fan of the wowzers leveling npcs everywhere. They hand out gear like it's candy, they are everywhere. There's literally no reason to craft but HQ because everyone is getting the gear they need on the first job literally for free, And they won't have gil because they were getting gear!

The economy is going to get mundane compared to FFXI, if the average player doesn't do another job. The job quests are great, if anything there should have been a job specific leve for gear at certain levels, instead of using WoW NPC everywhere.

Once the player gets AF the economy continues to stay in that same slumber

So yeah, I kind of hate how the economy is completely useless right now.
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg
#20ThePCElitistPosted 8/23/2013 7:27:24 AM
fuzzyman posted...
on the positive note I think they made a clear cut move making leveling a really easy thing to do solo

you can do dungeons still and technically party together without the face of "clearing" the dungeon

and there's guildleve or something like that, but there's just solo leve too

Fate actually prompts the solo people to help out, that's neat

But I'm not a fan of the wowzers leveling npcs everywhere. They hand out gear like it's candy, they are everywhere. There's literally no reason to craft but HQ because everyone is getting the gear they need on the first job literally for free, And they won't have gil because they were getting gear!

The economy is going to get mundane compared to FFXI, if the average player doesn't do another job. The job quests are great, if anything there should have been a job specific leve for gear at certain levels, instead of using WoW NPC everywhere.

Once the player gets AF the economy continues to stay in that same slumber

So yeah, I kind of hate how the economy is completely useless right now.

The economy of FFXI was terrible too and don't you deny it.

Want that Sword for your Level? That'll be 25,000 Gil but oh wait, there's a +1 version? That'll be 300,000 Gil
---
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, x2 Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, SLI GTX 680 Lightning, AX850, Antec 1200 v3