This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Elder Scrolls online to have monthly fee.

#121IrsaanPosted 8/21/2013 12:27:17 PM
I would have been in for it if it were a one time purchase with DLC purchases and no monthly fee.
---
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/4/Irsaan.png
#122Maiken100Posted 8/21/2013 12:48:02 PM
CaliberChamp posted...
Maiken100 posted...
CaliberChamp posted...
No single game warrants a monthly fee. Why do that when I can buy a decent game for $15 every month off of steam? JKatarn does not get it. Its more than just about money to, its about principle. Sub fee does not go towards quality. Example swtor. And sub fee doesn't go towards more new content. Gw2 brings out more content than any p2p mmo. Sub fee doesn't always = quality. Have you seen how boring Eve online is? Its incredibly pay to win as well since long time subbers will always have the advantage in eve online. Its hypocritical to call f2p games pay to win when you're very own sub games are pay to win just in a different way that isn't as noticeable to those less intelligent folks out there.

Well you give weak example to back up your claims.
EVE isn't a traditional MMO, it's a very unique game that requires a lot of investment to get competitive. GW2 is a relatively new MMO and you said "brings out more content than any p2p".....how can you be serious? Have you heard of Everquest and WoW?
Sub content of course doesn't always mean quality because it depends how the developer will make use of the money, it's not difficult to grasp. Some do it well and others don't, like swtor.

New content is added every 2 weeks with Gw2. If you don't believe me look on their website. And you will see how often new content is being put out or you can choose to ignore it with your bias.

Where did I say it didn't? But to say that it does more than every sub based mmo is wrong. Also due to GW2's lack of endgame these minor content patches are all it has to keep players busy.
#123masterpaul666Posted 8/21/2013 12:49:51 PM
Silly peoples.

It's gonna be like every other mmo with a fee these days. It'll have a fee for the first few months, to gather as much money, then drop to f2p/p2w that everything else does. Then they'll cut so much content out of what you're used to get that you'll have to pay just to play more.

Happened to Swtor, I'm pretty sure its coming to this one as well.
#124Overlord_MerilPosted 8/21/2013 1:16:02 PM
No worries people. After 6 months or a year it'll go F2P just like everything else.

Use that time to save your pennies for the cash shop.
#125lightingemporowPosted 8/21/2013 1:23:03 PM
ill pass we live in a time where free to play is key
and most free to play games make more money anyway
#126garanPosted 8/21/2013 1:30:57 PM
I wasn't interested in the first place, and now, I'm really not interested. An MMO by definition means lots of combat, and combat is by far the worst aspect of the ES games.

Also, most MMOs have lots of PVP content, which I am not & never will be interested in, especially in a game with terrible combat.
#127ThescyyPosted 8/21/2013 1:31:56 PM
CaliberChamp posted...
Maiken100 posted...
CaliberChamp posted...
No single game warrants a monthly fee. Why do that when I can buy a decent game for $15 every month off of steam? JKatarn does not get it. Its more than just about money to, its about principle. Sub fee does not go towards quality. Example swtor. And sub fee doesn't go towards more new content. Gw2 brings out more content than any p2p mmo. Sub fee doesn't always = quality. Have you seen how boring Eve online is? Its incredibly pay to win as well since long time subbers will always have the advantage in eve online. Its hypocritical to call f2p games pay to win when you're very own sub games are pay to win just in a different way that isn't as noticeable to those less intelligent folks out there.

Well you give weak example to back up your claims.
EVE isn't a traditional MMO, it's a very unique game that requires a lot of investment to get competitive. GW2 is a relatively new MMO and you said "brings out more content than any p2p".....how can you be serious? Have you heard of Everquest and WoW?
Sub content of course doesn't always mean quality because it depends how the developer will make use of the money, it's not difficult to grasp. Some do it well and others don't, like swtor.

New content is added every 2 weeks with Gw2. If you don't believe me look on their website. And you will see how often new content is being put out or you can choose to ignore it with your bias.

Yes because small additions are totally the same as full on end game raid encounters. Stay casual I guess.
---
| i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | SeaSonic M12II 850 | Fractal design R4 |
#128AldathPosted 8/21/2013 1:41:02 PM
KOTOR, Aion, Rift... those were truly good P2P MMOs that finally turned out to be F2P, just give it time, we'll be getting it for free soon.
---
"imagine if Metallica got together with the Power Rangers and the coolest kids in school and had a party in your mouth, and you were invited" THE_WIND
#129FeatherwindPosted 8/21/2013 2:24:58 PM(edited)
@CaliberChamp

It is generally accepted that creating video games costs something - mostly money. Thus most if not all video game developers expect payment from the player in one way or another. Unless the game is charity based there needs to be a paywall somewhere. In B2P games you need to pay upfront, in sub based games you need to pay monthly and in microtransaction based games you pay for in-game stuff. Right here you can see a difference: B2P and sub based games give you access to the game for payment while in F2P games access is free but you pay to alter the game experience. While in theory every single them could result in almost identical experiences it might be more difficult for the devs to implement F2P well. It's true that sub-to-play is pay-to-win in the sense that you need to be able to play in order to win but so is B2P. Spend more time to win more is an accepted part of some games. In F2P P2W games everyone can play without paying but those who play are not at equal footing. As it is generally expected the devs do everything in their power to support and develop the MMO it's possible that making MMO games is more costly than making standard games. For example the up front payment was not enough for the Guild Wars 2 devs as if I'm not completely mistaken there is a cash shop in the game. The difference between sub and B2P is just the payment method and it's not clear cut which is more convenient or fair for the customer.

Even techically goalless grinding games like EVE don't last forever and after the plug is pulled they could calculate what the game could have costed if it was B2P for full access. WoW not only has goals & the goal posts moved every few months or so but it also doesn't last forever and after the plug is pulled they could calculate what it would have costed if it was just B2P. The B2P versions of these games would probably cost so much & the games last so long that it is probably better for the consumer to offer subs. This is because people generally expect more support and active involvement from MMO devs.

The reason people only use P2W in F2P games is because there are two kinds of game designs in F2P games: where your purchases give you a significant amount of "power" and help you to win and ones where you only get cosmetic items that do not give a significant power increase. People use it because they want to differentiate the two but it makes no sense to call B2P or sub games pay-to-win because it is obvious you need to be able to play in order to win.

Gaming is not about penny pinching and I don't particularly care how or how much I pay for the devs as long as I can reasonably afford it. I would have been disappointed in BL2 even if it costed 10e instead of 60e and even if the devs paid me that 60e for playing it still would have been a disappointment. The reason I oppose microtransactions is because devs seem to have problems making games with it good and interesting as it gets in the way of game design too much unlike B2P or subs. The reason MMO developers can't always do pure B2P is because the costs of making and running MMOs are higher than average games & the big single time payments would be clunky.
#130JKatarnPosted 8/21/2013 3:15:00 PM
CaliberChamp posted...

It's clearly about money, otherwise you wouldn't even bother carrying this discussion this far, as if WoW and other games like it were pay once you'd have nothing to complain about.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES