This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam selling undeveloped games

#1BigTlovesBEERPosted 8/21/2013 5:38:22 AM
I support indie gaming, I really do. It's been my favorite thing about Steam and XBox Live Arcade. But I have a little issue with them charging $20 or more for a game that the developers haven't even finished yet.

When I first saw it with Kerbal Space Program and SolForge and stuff I thought it was a cool idea. But Steam's now releasing almost as many unfinished games as they are properly developed ones. Is THIS what PC gaming needs to survive? Unfinished games being sold at price point higher than the completed, established hits?
#2ivanwind15Posted 8/21/2013 5:40:11 AM
Who cares. Don't buy it if the concept doesn't interest you.
---
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
#3Ch3wyPosted 8/21/2013 5:41:59 AM
I don't really get why so many people buy them. I'd rather not have the completed polished game spoiled for me by the time it comes out.

The only alpha I've bought is Minecraft. By the time they upgraded the hell out of it I didn't care anymore.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#4DBNULLdPosted 8/21/2013 5:45:29 AM
ivanwind15 posted...
Who cares. Don't buy it if the concept doesn't interest you.

---
Hee-ho.
#5Zohar_MetatronPosted 8/21/2013 5:45:30 AM
BigTlovesBEER posted...
Unfinished games being sold at price point higher than the completed, established hits?

1. New products selling more then older, established products that have already made their money? GADZOOKS.

2. The early-access titles are usually looking for feedback, and the price point serves as a gateway so that the people playing it tend to be a bit more serious about said feedback. If you've ever looked at any discussion in the Steam community you'll understand why you would want to exclude many of their users.
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.
#6Spidey555Posted 8/21/2013 5:50:01 AM
Like it was said before

1. Provides feedback. People are basically paying the company to beta test the game for them. They no longer have to go out and pay people to beta test, but people pay them now.
It gives them feedback on what to fix. Usually early buyers are given some kind of incentive.

2. Income : Provides more incoming money to fix these problems or add new content and make a more polished product.

This system is almost like a kickstarter system, but you get to have hands on the product and voice your opinion. Seems safer to me than just flat out giving money to kickstarter with nothing to test, try or play.
---
360 GT: FiendishFiend
Steam: Spidey555
#7capgamerPosted 8/21/2013 5:54:23 AM
I don't buy these kind of things because I don't like the idea of buying an unfinished product that may never be finished. That said, I see the advantage to doing this type of sale package for new developers and if other people want to buy them... well, that's a financial decision they are making which I would not make, but it's up to them.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#8pothocketPosted 8/21/2013 5:56:18 AM
There's an argument that says if the developer is willing to take money, they owe the consumer a complete product. I think the only way selling incomplete games would work is if the consumer has the option of a complete refund up until the date of the actual release of the game. I guarantee developers will think twice about the value of the content they're selling if that was the case.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#9rusty12000Posted 8/21/2013 5:56:50 AM
For me being able to buy into games while they are into alpha/beta is a dream come true, Growing up i remember being like i wish i could play (insert game here) beta, i can't wait an longer, now that time is here, where access can be bought into. its great seeing a game come together while you are playing it. And support it's development. One prime example is Prison Architect, I've enjoyed the alpha so much i even have my name in the game.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#10SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2013 6:05:29 AM
I like the idea.

But a few seem to think this is kick starter and charge people like 75 bucks for the game just for early access.
That's nuts... For bug testing their games, they should be paying their players, not the other way around.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence