This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam selling undeveloped games

#11SlaynPosted 8/21/2013 7:14:29 AM
DBNULLd posted...
ivanwind15 posted...
Who cares. Don't buy it if the concept doesn't interest you.

/topic
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#12Sk0rbutPosted 8/21/2013 7:16:50 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
I like the idea.

But a few seem to think this is kick starter and charge people like 75 bucks for the game just for early access.
That's nuts... For bug testing their games, they should be paying their players, not the other way around.

Afaik the only early access game in that price range is Planetary Annihilation and they had a specific reason for their high price point - people on Kickstarter paid that much to get into the alpha so making alpha access cheaper on Steam would have screwed over the most diehard supporters of the game.
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#13pothocketPosted 8/21/2013 7:20:42 AM
Sk0rbut posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
I like the idea.

But a few seem to think this is kick starter and charge people like 75 bucks for the game just for early access.
That's nuts... For bug testing their games, they should be paying their players, not the other way around.

Afaik the only early access game in that price range is Planetary Annihilation and they had a specific reason for their high price point - people on Kickstarter paid that much to get into the alpha so making alpha access cheaper on Steam would have screwed over the most diehard supporters of the game.

Which just goes to show how flawed the system is.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#14SlaynPosted 8/21/2013 7:24:00 AM
pothocket posted...
Sk0rbut posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
I like the idea.

.... no?
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#15Sk0rbutPosted 8/21/2013 7:30:34 AM
pothocket posted...
Sk0rbut posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
I like the idea.

Except it's not. You can argue you should get a game cheaper because it's not finished or you can say you should pay extra because you get the chance to influence the development of a game now in addition to getting the finished product when it's done. Either way works.
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#16El_KazPosted 8/21/2013 7:33:43 AM
Kickstarter (and before it, Minecraft) demonstrated quite clearly that there are a lot of gamers out there reader to throw wads of cash at an unfinished (or even "unstarted") project as long as they like the idea behind it.

Can't really blame publishers or Steam for playing along with that.
---
Wait... what?
#17DaedalusExPosted 8/21/2013 7:33:44 AM
ivanwind15 posted...
Who cares. Don't buy it if the concept doesn't interest you.

Not quite that simple, as there's no way to sort out the early access titles. So people who aren't interested in paying companies to alpha test their games are forced to sort through all the clutter. Annoying to say the least.

All they need to do is add a simple checkbox to hide early access games.
#18pothocketPosted 8/21/2013 7:35:11 AM
If you don't see a flaw in charging more money than retail for an unfinished game....I don't know what to tell you.

They already have their pool of early adopters to act as beta testers, but the developer went ahead and explored other options of gaining revenue without actually releasing a finished product. Because of their double dipping they ran into an issue and solved it by having the consumer throw more money at the problem. The system is flawed.
---
#19pothocketPosted 8/21/2013 7:38:01 AM
Sk0rbut posted...
You can argue you should get a game cheaper because it's not finished or you can say you should pay extra because you get the chance to influence the development of a game now in addition to getting the finished product when it's done. Either way works.

I already explained what would work in a previous post. Give early adopters the option of a full refund up until the day the game is released.
---
#20arleasPosted 8/21/2013 7:56:15 AM
there's no way to sort out the early access titles

As long as the store page clearly says it's Early Access, it's fair game and if you aren't paying attention to that, it's YOUR fault for not reading. Also, if you're dead set against Early Access, here's your boycott list:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_5_9__12&term=access#genre=Early%20Access&sort_order=ASC&page=1

Before you get all excited and start calling for torches and pitchforks, that list also includes trailers so don't go shouting about there being over 100 games.

It's not like this one game called "Towns" where the game was in alpha and then as soon as they got on steam via Greenlight, they immediately put the game for sale without telling people you were getting a buggy, unfinished product... hell, that game should have been moved over to "Early Access" as soon as Steam started that program up, but it's still billing itself as a completed project (and last time I bothered to try it, it was still buggy and unfinished)..

If you don't see a flaw in charging more money than retail for an unfinished game....I don't know what to tell you.

Except most developers are charging a discounted price for the early access and the price only goes up as the game gets closer to completion (much the same way Minecraft did it). Nobody is twisting your arm and forcing you to buy Early Access games. If you don't like it, don't buy it. OR go on gamefaqs and cry about it.... that works too I suppose.

They already have their pool of early adopters to act as beta testers,

Who? Planetary Annihilation is the only game that got "early adopters" prior to getting on steam, the only ones to jack the price up for the early access, the only ones you're probably whining about. How hard is it to just not buy it till it's released? If I cared about Planetary Annihilation I might be mad that they went to steam and offered a bunch of slackers the chance to get into the early access alpha, but that's entirely on the developers.

You know what though? I didn't back it on kickstarter, and I'm not paying $70 for an alpha (which is where it is right now). I don't care about the game and I probably won't care about it when it's finally released, but if I DID care, I might just be happy that I could give feedback that would affect the final resulting game.

This topic makes as much sense as if I were to whine about the clearance rack at Wal-Mart. "Why are they selling items if they're discontinued...I don't want to buy something and find out later that I can't get another one! What if this one breaks?" Just don't buy it...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg