This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam selling undeveloped games

#21pothocketPosted 8/21/2013 7:35:50 AM
"whining" lol. Ok dude. You wrote a lot so I'm assuming you expect people to take you seriously but I i'm not sure why anyone would do that.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#22Born LuckyPosted 8/21/2013 7:48:43 AM
So the basic advice I'm seeing in this thread, is "if you don't like it, don't buy it".

Yeah thanks Einsteins, that's already happening.

The question is, why is Steam allowing these crappy, unfinished, buggy "indie" games to be sold in the first place?

Imagine going into your favorite restaurant, and they bring out a menu with 500 new items on it. New items like "Oatmeal and Mustard Sandwich", for the same price as a cheesesteak.

Cuz . . . that's what's going on here.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#23El_KazPosted 8/21/2013 7:54:59 AM
Born Lucky posted...
he question is, why is Steam allowing these crappy, unfinished, buggy "indie" games to be sold in the first place?

Because people buy them, obviously.
---
Wait... what?
#24KillerTrufflePosted 8/21/2013 8:33:00 AM
BigTlovesBEER posted...
I support indie gaming, I really do. It's been my favorite thing about Steam and XBox Live Arcade. But I have a little issue with them charging $20 or more for a game that the developers haven't even finished yet.

When I first saw it with Kerbal Space Program and SolForge and stuff I thought it was a cool idea. But Steam's now releasing almost as many unfinished games as they are properly developed ones. Is THIS what PC gaming needs to survive? Unfinished games being sold at price point higher than the completed, established hits?

I actually just noticed this recently - the "recently released" section on Steam is now almost full of alpha or "early release" versions, and has next to no full, finished games. It's definitely a major shift on Steam's part...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#25AsellusPosted 8/21/2013 8:37:45 AM
I actually just noticed this recently - the "recently released" section on Steam is now almost full of alpha or "early release" versions, and has next to no full, finished games. It's definitely a major shift on Steam's part...

If by "almost entirely" you mean "two out of ten" then yeah, what's up with that?
#26KillerTrufflePosted 8/21/2013 8:42:27 AM
Asellus posted...

If by "almost entirely" you mean "two out of ten" then yeah, what's up with that?

First, right now it's 3/10 on the front at the moment, and second, new games have been added that bumped some others to the second page. Last time I looked at Steam was a couple days ago (I've been sick in bed a lot the past couple days), I remember noticing that more than 50% of the games on the new releases were early access type stuff.
---
#27AsellusPosted 8/21/2013 8:53:24 AM
First, right now it's 3/10 on the front at the moment,

Nope, quite sure it's two - "Sir, You Are Being Hunted" and "Full Mojo Rampage". Unless maybe we're seeing different release lists for different regions or something.

and second, new games have been added that bumped some others to the second page. Last time I looked at Steam was a couple days ago (I've been sick in bed a lot the past couple days), I remember noticing that more than 50% of the games on the new releases were early access type stuff.

Okay, on page two there is "Betrayer" and "Dream".

Still two out of ten.
#28KillerTrufflePosted 8/21/2013 8:59:40 AM(edited)
Asellus posted...
First, right now it's 3/10 on the front at the moment,

Nope, quite sure it's two - "Sir, You Are Being Hunted" and "Full Mojo Rampage". Unless maybe we're seeing different release lists for different regions or something.

and second, new games have been added that bumped some others to the second page. Last time I looked at Steam was a couple days ago (I've been sick in bed a lot the past couple days), I remember noticing that more than 50% of the games on the new releases were early access type stuff.

Okay, on page two there is "Betrayer" and "Dream".

Still two out of ten.

Might & Magic X Legacy is also early access.

EDIT: Also, I'm fairly sure I saw the early access tag on something else that would now be on page two the other day. Maybe "Gone Home?" I dunno. I just remember thinking it was odd just how many early access games there are compared to full releases. Besides, what's your point? Are you saying this is NOT something new about how Steam is operating now? Cuz it totally is.

Even if I was exaggerating and it was exactly 50% rather than over 50%, half of all games on the front of the new release list is still a whole lot.
---
#29arleasPosted 8/21/2013 9:01:31 AM
"whining" lol. Ok dude. You wrote a lot so I'm assuming you expect people to take you seriously but I i'm not sure why anyone would do that.

If that was a lot of reading for you, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were having trouble concentrating. :I

And yes, what you said comes off as childish complaining, mostly because it's not really an issue, but you're making it sound like it's a huge deal.

I would understand if you were mad about Planetary Annihilation because you were a backer of the kickstarter tier for what was supposed to be exclusive access to the alpha. That really doesn't seem fair to those people, but it's the developers choice and because they hope to use the extra cash to make the game even better...

I would understand if you were getting unfinished games that weren't marked as "Early Access" (Like the "Towns" game in my example), except all Early Access games are clearly marked with a big bright blue box on the store page that says it's Early Access.

None of that counts though, so it makes the complaints about early access come off as petulant whining.

So the basic advice I'm seeing in this thread, is "if you don't like it, don't buy it".

That would be the obvious choice. Yes
Imagine going into your favorite restaurant, and they bring out a menu with 500 new items on it. New items like "Oatmeal and Mustard Sandwich", for the same price as a cheesesteak.

Cuz . . . that's what's going on here.

Not even close. But again, nobody is forcing you to buy these other menu items. (The aforementioned "Duh" option). I regularly go to various restaurants and frequently see a bunch of menu items that do not interest me in the slightest. I guess I should complain to the owner that there's too much reading and I should have been offered a menu with 2 items on it so I'd have a choice, but not more than 2 so I wouldn't be intimidated by all the text.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#30AsellusPosted 8/21/2013 9:08:13 AM(edited)
Might & Magic X Legacy is also early access.

I suppose and it's hard to argue with the label but it's not really in the same sense as the others. Ubisoft's not remotely indie.

EDIT: Also, I'm fairly sure I saw the early access tag on something else that would now be on page two the other day. Maybe "Gone Home?" I dunno. I just remember thinking it was odd just how many early access games there are compared to full releases. Besides, what's your point? Are you saying this is NOT something new about how Steam is operating now? Cuz it totally is.

Eh, Valve certainly likes to experiment. If it works well we'll see more of it, if not less. Myself, as long as early access stuff is clearly labeled I don't have a problem with it being there though I certainly don't get the appeal in paying an inflated price for an alpha version of something.