This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam selling undeveloped games

#31pothocketPosted 8/21/2013 10:25:26 AM
arleas posted...
"whining" lol. Ok dude. You wrote a lot so I'm assuming you expect people to take you seriously but I i'm not sure why anyone would do that.

If that was a lot of reading for you, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were having trouble concentrating. :I

Well, when it's obvious from the first few sentences that you're just being an ass rather than actually making a point, yes, it is a lot to read. At least you make it obvious very early in your posts that it's ok to ignore you and not take your poorly constructed opinions seriously.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#32matu90rkPosted 8/21/2013 10:28:15 AM
"Early Access" is their way to get into the 'Beta' market. Lot of companies use betas and early access as marketing tools, so Valve simply implemented a way for those companies to partner with them.

The same model can be used for crowdsourcing indie games.
#33BigTlovesBEER(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 12:04:50 PM
I mean I get WHY they do it, I'm just starting to wish they didn't due to how much of it is saturating the Steam store. But I guess the "don't like it don't buy it" mentality is accurate. I could just ignore it. It just sucks when there's a game that interests me and I peak at it and it's basically an unfinished game.

I feel like if I dont buy it or at least start paying attention to it now, I'll forget about it in 3 months when the next crop of half finished crap gets shoveled out the door.

But I DO like supporting indy developers who want to make money without the support of big studios, as there are a great many indy games I played and loved more than most of the triple a titles that came out last year. I guess I see both sides of it.
#34frag_baitPosted 8/27/2013 6:03:28 AM
One funny comment I saw on some greenlit game's forum was along the lines of:

"I have a really cool idea for a game! Help me get Greenlit so I can buy a PC and start development!"

Anyway, figuring out if the merits outweigh the potential for abuse is too confusing for me. I've boughten a couple of greenlit games and am satisfied. Still, I can definitely see how developers could make a quick buck and then abandon the project, whether that was their original intention, or they just got in over their heads as the project became more complex.
---
I am a well-known troll. Please don't fall for my shenanigans.
#35SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/27/2013 7:14:28 AM
BigTlovesBEER posted...
I mean I get WHY they do it, I'm just starting to wish they didn't due to how much of it is saturating the Steam store. But I guess the "don't like it don't buy it" mentality is accurate. I could just ignore it. It just sucks when there's a game that interests me and I peak at it and it's basically an unfinished game.

I feel like if I dont buy it or at least start paying attention to it now, I'll forget about it in 3 months when the next crop of half finished crap gets shoveled out the door.

But I DO like supporting indy developers who want to make money without the support of big studios, as there are a great many indy games I played and loved more than most of the triple a titles that came out last year. I guess I see both sides of it.

That's what your wishlist is for ;)

I agree that it is annoying though.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#36G1ANT_SQU1DPosted 8/27/2013 8:36:41 AM
Just because its not developed yet doesn't mean they are releasing undeveloped games...
---
http://i.imgur.com/UN9GX.jpg
#37SpazH3dPosted 8/27/2013 9:13:23 AM
BigTlovesBEER posted...
But Steam's now releasing almost as many unfinished games as they are properly developed ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08

Games won't stay unfinished forever. You support the devs and give feedback so they can make a greater game. Stop the whining.
---
- My vision is augmented
#38sonicteam2k1Posted 8/27/2013 9:34:25 AM
I hate when they sell a game that has known problems, them and GOG and GMG do this. They need to have a standard that if your game doesn't boot up and work right away with most configurations, then it shouldn't be placed on sale.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#39BigTlovesBEER(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 5:02:09 PM(edited)
G1ANT_SQU1D posted...
Just because its not developed yet doesn't mean they are releasing undeveloped games...

Actually that's exactly what it means.

If you google "developed" the definition is, "advanced or elaborated to a specified degree."

Unfinished =/= Undeveloped.

So.... problem?
#40kobalobasileusPosted 8/27/2013 4:52:14 PM
Ch3wy posted...
I don't really get why so many people buy them. I'd rather not have the completed polished game spoiled for me by the time it comes out.

The only alpha I've bought is Minecraft. By the time they upgraded the hell out of it I didn't care anymore.

Same here. Why pay a premium to get early access to buggy versions of a game when you can wait 6 months after the official release and get the polished version for half-price?