This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam selling undeveloped games

#51pothocketPosted 8/28/2013 6:37:50 AM
Requiem posted...
This is different from pre-orders from established companies... how?

When you get the game that you preordered it's a finished product.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#52pothocketPosted 8/28/2013 7:14:12 AM
Also, it wouldn't be so bad if Steam would stop listing these games under 'new releases' and supporting them with the stupid steam cards. It just confuses the issue.

Keep all the early access games under 'coming soon' section and stop promoting them as if they were a complete product.
---
#53Ch3wyPosted 8/28/2013 7:16:30 AM
pothocket posted...
Also, it wouldn't be so bad if Steam would stop listing these games under 'new releases' and supporting them with the stupid steam cards. It just confuses the issue.

Keep all the early access games under 'coming soon' section and stop promoting them as if they were a complete product.

There should just be a separate tab for early access games. They shouldn't be on the front page blended in with everything else.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#54BigTlovesBEER(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 7:28:51 AM
Stop repeating "Don't like it don't buy it". I've said before I understand that mentality but that's not really what's being discussed here. I'm looking for thoughts and feelings on where that's going and what it's going towards.

I'm not saying it all needs to end in some kind of digital final solution. Just looking for intelligent discussion.
#55KURRUPTORPosted 8/28/2013 7:35:18 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#56arleasPosted 8/28/2013 8:28:40 AM

It's a new release because it's available for purchase. As long as you have eyes and can read the words "EARLY ACCESS" On the store page it's not like they're really trying to deceive you. As for the steam cards, what does that have to do with anything?

Stop repeating "Don't like it don't buy it". I've said before I understand that mentality but that's not really what's being discussed here. I'm looking for thoughts and feelings on where that's going and what it's going towards.

I'm not saying it all needs to end in some kind of digital final solution. Just looking for intelligent discussion.

OK, you want to know where it's going? People like the idea that they can try out a game while it's in development and influence the end result with their feedback. They don't mind that the game is released unfinished because it was clearly labeled as Early Access and there was no deception on the part of the developers or Steam.

The games GENERALLY start out low priced and only get more expensive as the game development gets closer to the final product, so people who are willing to wait can still get a finished product, and people who buy early generally are getting a discount on the final product. The exception (so far) is Planetary Annihilation which had a very high price for their early access due to the kickstarter tier that claimed it would be an exclusive beta.

So what is it going towards? Well, mostly it's enabling the developers to get a better feel of what his audience wants while helping fund the development process. In the old days they did focus testing to figure out what the average person wanted, now we can do it more efficiently. Is the old way of things going to go away? I doubt that. Unless the old big companies die out, there's always going to be a company who will keep everything under wraps until it's finally ready to be released. Mostly the people taking advantage of this are the indie game makers.

If everyone disliked it, they would stop doing it. I have a feeling though that there's going to be more and more of this, since it gives indies another way to fund development.

This reminds me of all the lame arguments about how kickstarter is bad and that people shouldn't be "giving handouts" or "Free money" to people for stuff.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#57pothocketPosted 8/28/2013 8:50:43 AM
arleas posted...

It's a new release because it's available for purchase. As long as you have eyes and can read the words "EARLY ACCESS" On the store page it's not like they're really trying to deceive you. As for the steam cards, what does that have to do with anything?

I'm not even sure why you would bother commenting when on an issue you admittedly don't understand.
---
#58Killah PriestPosted 8/28/2013 8:52:30 AM

I agree, enough with the early access being mixed in with complete products.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#59arleasPosted 8/28/2013 8:55:31 AM
I'm not even sure why you would bother commenting when on an issue you admittedly don't understand.

No I understand completely. You don't like this early access program because you find it offensive that they've decided to fund their game in progress and offer a discounted price to people willing to help test it and give feedback. Thus because you don't like it, nobody else should either. You're obviously against the indie developers having ANY source of income while a game is still in development, thus you're complaining about the steam cards as if the pennies they get per steam card sale make a huge difference.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#60pothocketPosted 8/28/2013 8:58:22 AM
How did all these words get in my mouth!? Oh that's right, I'm having a discussion on GameFAQs. Please tell me more about what I think.
---