This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just peachy. I bought Street Fighter X Tekken via Steam and now....(GFWL rant)

#1BassHunterXXXPosted 8/21/2013 7:31:21 AM
The online will shut off in July 2014 apparently. Yay for having it online for only a year...

@$#%ing hate GFWL and am glad its dead but don't shut off the servers for multiplayer. Grrr
#2El MagnificoPosted 8/21/2013 7:39:24 AM(edited)
Capcom's got that covered. They're releasing an "Ultra Edition" in a few months that won't use GfWL so you get to buy the game again.

Edit: Nevermind. I just realized that you said Street Fighter x Tekken and not Street Fighter IV. I guess you're boned. It's inevitable that Capcom will release another version of SFxT so you can probably look forward to rebuying it.
#3Immortal_MooPosted 8/21/2013 7:43:24 AM
I recommend reading the GFWL article on PCgamer, they speculate (from a now removed) post that GFWL will be patched out.
---
Steam/origin/PSN/Wiiu- theimmortalmoo | i7 3770k 4.4ghz | GTX 780 | 16GB Gskill | 1200w PSU | 3 HDD 1 SSD 256 | Maximus V Formula |
#4Killah PriestPosted 8/21/2013 7:47:52 AM
games for windows live is just fine and they don't control the servers.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#5Immortal_MooPosted 8/21/2013 7:54:02 AM
Priest, the issue is GFWL service will be removed/gone. who knows how this will effect save data and if it's a game that the dev is no longer around to patch, GFWL will not exist for you to use/play the game.
"Games for Windows Live to shut down July 2014 according to deleted support update"
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/20/games-for-windows-live-may-shut-down-next-year/

An update to the Age of Empires Online support page revealed that Games for Windows Live will shut down July 1, 2014, and with it, at least some of AoE Online’s features, if not the whole game. The announcement has been removed and replaced with the original text, but here’s what it said:

“Games for Windows Live will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. Although it is available through Steam, Age of Empires Online requires features of the Games for Windows Live service. You can continue to enjoy all the features of Age of Empires Online as the service will remain 100% operational until July 1, 2014 when the server will shut down.”

Microsoft announced last week that it’s shutting down the Games for Windows Marketplace. Games for Windows Live is something else entirely, a DRM and multiplayer infrastructure formerly used by Microsoft, Rockstar, Capcom, WB Games, 2K Games, and others. If you’ve had to use it, you know why few will mourn the loss.

If this deleted update is accurate, however, there is one big concern: presumably, any game currently using GFWL will need to patch it out and replace it with Steamworks or its own system to continue working after the 2014 shut off date. That’s Dark Souls, Street Fighter IV, BioShock 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, and more. Eep.

We’ll let you know when Microsoft officially confirms or denies the news.
---
Steam/origin/PSN/Wiiu- theimmortalmoo | i7 3770k 4.4ghz | GTX 780 | 16GB Gskill | 1200w PSU | 3 HDD 1 SSD 256 | Maximus V Formula |
#6Killah PriestPosted 8/21/2013 7:56:38 AM
Sorry, last I heard only the marketplace was being removed and the live service would remain, I didn't know about this more recent "rumor"

Still, maybe it wouldn't be shutting down if people didn't cry about it for no reason.
---
#7InterfusorPosted 8/21/2013 8:23:15 AM
I would imagine Capcom will switch to Steamworks for multiplayer (they already use it with Resident Evil after 5. I don't think they want to have to remove the "has multiplayer" selling point when they sell the games thenceforth.
---
I am not economically viable.
#8lionheart5656Posted 8/21/2013 8:29:04 AM
Killah Priest posted...
Sorry, last I heard only the marketplace was being removed and the live service would remain, I didn't know about this more recent "rumor"

Still, maybe it wouldn't be shutting down if people didn't cry about it for no reason.

It's definitely not for no reason.

It does all kinds of negative things that warrant it being a complete nuisance with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#9Killah PriestPosted 8/21/2013 8:32:33 AM
Well I've used it just fine and never had an issue except not being able to back up my saves easily.
---
#10Immortal_MooPosted 8/21/2013 8:43:52 AM
Killah Priest posted...
Well I've used it just fine and never had an issue except not being able to back up my saves easily.

My biggest issues arise from when my account was temporarily suspended (due to non payment of gold, even though I was not aware due to lack of use of product) . I couldn't access my GFWL games for 6 months.

Other issues are backing up save files successfully before a format due to how complicated they make it, Program data folders and etc.

Finally, when I get booted off of my game because someone turned my xbox on....
---