This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This sucks... my internet speed just took a dive.

#11YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/21/2013 12:43:44 PM
Think the best available back in San Diego was 20/5 unless you went with a business connection.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#12ATARIJAWAPosted 8/21/2013 1:09:53 PM
Knight2520 posted...
How so? I'm getting 100 down 75 up. As long as you don't live in the sticks you should have access to pretty good internet.

And how much do you pay for that? $150/month?

I was paying $44.95 for it but I just bought my first condo and threatened to cancel it. They dropped it to $9.95 a month for a year.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
#13THEB0SS666Posted 8/21/2013 1:13:15 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2899160656

Yes very fast.
---
dell xps 7100 gtx 660sc 8gb ram amd phenom x6 1045t 3.2ghz 1.5tbhdd
Moderators are filthy disgusting creatures.
#14Master_BassPosted 8/21/2013 1:21:01 PM
ATARIJAWA posted...
Knight2520 posted...
How so? I'm getting 100 down 75 up. As long as you don't live in the sticks you should have access to pretty good internet.

And how much do you pay for that? $150/month?

I was paying $44.95 for it but I just bought my first condo and threatened to cancel it. They dropped it to $9.95 a month for a year.

Unfortunately, you're definitely in the minority. I wish I could get something like your deal, but Comcast doesn't offer anything like that, for a reasonable price, around here.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#15Fade2black001Posted 8/21/2013 1:34:13 PM
CardigansFan posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...

I've lived in a few places in or around Chicago that only gave you one internet provider to buy, and some of them haven't even been big-name providers like Comcast. My current one is a paltry 5/1 or something, and that's the maximum offered. Luckily I can still download off Steam at over 1MB/s.

No you don't. You can not have a download speed greater than what your ISP provides to you. If you are on 5mbps. That's 625KB/sec download speed you get MAX. You either done goofed up on you speed or you looked at something wrong.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#16Knight2520Posted 8/21/2013 5:00:44 PM
You can not have a download speed greater than what your ISP provides to you.

Yes, you can. I have a 15/5 plan from Verizon, but in reality it's more like 20/5.
---
The RSX is just there to bottleneck the Cell. Otherwise it would transform into an autobot and destroy your living room - premature tyrant
#17Killah PriestPosted 8/21/2013 5:06:46 PM(edited)

you most certainly can, especially if you use your own hardware and not the crap they supply.

STEAM certainly can exceed the advertised speeds of a lot of internet connections.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#18AsucaHayashi(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 5:18:59 PM
well, didn't expect this topic to be alive.

anyways this new connection is giving me problems. i've tried downloading from different places like steam, gametrailers and a couple of filesharing services but especially the latter refuses to give me speeds above 1MB/s.

i used to be able to get around 2~MB/s on some services but can't even get above that with premium now... however, with steam and GT i can easily hit my peak.

i was given a new internet box thingy which i had to connect through my router but i don't see how that could purposefuly throttle my connection to certain sources while allowing full speed on others.

so is it all the ISP's doing?
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#19TimePharaohPosted 8/21/2013 5:41:41 PM
Fade2black001 posted...

Yes you can.

You're on a roll lately making factually wrong posts huh? Smarten up
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png