This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

W7 64-bit drivers for a Cannon - CanoScan N67OU, does it exist?

#1Metroid_LoverPosted 8/21/2013 10:20:28 AM
I have a scanner I use on occasion, but since I upgraded my OS to W7 64-bit (Home Premium) the only devise I can't find drivers for, is my scanner.

If I used it a lot I'd consider buying a new one, but since I rarely use it, I don't see the point in spending all that money just to use it rarely.

I tried searching, but always come up empty on finding a 64-bit version of the drivers at all.

So I'd like to ask for help on this board since the users on this board do really good at helping others out.

Does anyone know here I can get 64-bit drivers for this scanner?
*It's a flattop scanner, only does scanning*

Thanks in advance!
PS: Would a 32-bit driver, if any, work for it at all, or do I need a 64-bit driver only?
---
"Life is a struggle; technology creates more idiot proof things, and the universe creates better idiots; so far the universe is winning" - UnKnown
#2PhilOnDezPosted 8/21/2013 10:36:39 AM
Most 32 bit programs run fine on a 64bit OS, if you've found 32 bit drivers already I'd be pretty surprised if they wouldn't work
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3KillerzOverHerePosted 8/21/2013 10:40:08 AM
Windows has basic drivers for scanners and printers. You don't need to download drivers from the manufactureres website.
---
Gaming Laptops are so underrated...smh
xoticpc.com/images/xotic_pc_nbr_crew_sager_1.png
#4NicodimusPosted 8/21/2013 11:07:04 AM
Canon says:

"There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver. "
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#5KillerzOverHerePosted 8/21/2013 11:12:48 AM
Nicodimus posted...
Canon says:

"There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver. "

Precisely.

check this article: Pretty basic info, but it explains the whole printer/scanner thing:

http://lifehacker.com/5912682/do-i-really-need-to-update-my-drivers
---
Gaming Laptops are so underrated...smh
xoticpc.com/images/xotic_pc_nbr_crew_sager_1.png
#6Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 2:38:38 PM
I connected it and tried to let it check for drivers online, got his message:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/323/si9h.png

I can't find any drivers that work for it at all.
Since it can use 32-bit drivers, anyone know where I can get one? If they exist at all.

I can't find the CD it came with, but I think it only had XP drivers on it.
(IIRC, it was made when vista was out, nothing about W7).

So what do I do now?
---
To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human.
#7Davel23Posted 8/21/2013 4:55:56 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
Most 32 bit programs run fine on a 64bit OS, if you've found 32 bit drivers already I'd be pretty surprised if they wouldn't work

Drivers are a completely different beast. You CANNOT use 32-bit drivers in 64-bit Windows and vice-versa.
---
Your mom's box.
#8Davel23Posted 8/21/2013 5:06:01 PM
Oh, and regards the original issue, when Vista came out Microsoft changed the Windows driver model. Many companies dropped support for their older models on the new OS because they could either A: spend time and money creating new drivers for all their old devices, or B: tell people they were not going to release updated drivers and that they'd need to buy new equipment. I'm guessing your scanner falls under B.
---
Your mom's box.
#9Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2013 2:10:20 PM
Davel23 posted...
PhilOnDez posted...

Drivers are a completely different beast. You CANNOT use 32-bit drivers in 64-bit Windows and vice-versa.

That's sad to know, I'll keep that info and try and remember that, thanks.

Davel23 posted...
Oh, and regards the original issue, when Vista came out Microsoft changed the Windows driver model. Many companies dropped support for their older models on the new OS because they could either A: spend time and money creating new drivers for all their old devices, or B: tell people they were not going to release updated drivers and that they'd need to buy new equipment. I'm guessing your scanner falls under B.

The Scanner falls under B (slightly A) it looks like. Dang it.

So I take it there is no way to use this scanner...unless...would a virtual OS work?

I don't think I have the more expensive version of W7 OS to use the M$ virtual OS.
But if I remember right, I read that there is a free version you can use, just need an official OS key (still have my XP OS disk, so that's fine right there) and I can install/use the scanner that way.

Would doing something like that work?
---
My name is Praetor. That would be King Praetor for you, you filthy worm, you. Yes, "Your Royal Majesty" will do, just be sure to say it in caps. ~ Muro Lightning
#10Davel23Posted 8/22/2013 3:17:52 PM
Possibly. It's worth a try anyway. Is it a USB scanner? Make sure the VM software you use supports USB passthrough. I know Virtualbox does.
---
Your mom's box.