This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Speaking of programming languages, how many do you know?

#71New LinkPosted 8/22/2013 5:55:56 PM
Orestes417 posted...
I'm partial to sam and acme too, but using them on their non-native platform is surreal.

joe, sam, ed... im finding a theme here.

I guess any of them are fine as long as it's not nano or notepad++ lol
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#72codyorrPosted 8/22/2013 7:49:13 PM
Parts of some. Zero of any.
#73angermngment101Posted 8/22/2013 7:50:36 PM
I just learned a bit of python.

I would like to learn perl, and a few others (not sure which ones yet, depends on what I will be needing).
---
Gamefax
#74jessica73Posted 8/22/2013 7:53:00 PM
I took C# as an elective
I didn't really enjoy it enough to pursue it after
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/dragonknight337/Brutalityjessicawins.jpg
I feel like I'm playing against Xena, Peggle Princess. :( - dude on XBL
#75TheWayOfTheGunPosted 8/24/2013 10:52:44 AM(edited)
"Language is irrelevant.

If you know how to program, you can pick up any language you want in a week or less."

Learning the syntax sure, but that's a nonfactor. Anyone who programs for a living will tell you that learning the syntax of a programming language isn't even something worth noting. It's learning the libraries and tools of a language that is what actually counts.

Try learning the core .Net library in a week. -> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg145045(v=VS.110).aspx
#76Ch3wyPosted 8/24/2013 10:54:21 AM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
"Language is irrelevant.

If you know how to program, you can pick up any language you want in a week or less."

Learning the syntax sure, but that's a nonfactor. Anyone who programs for a living will tell you that learning the syntax of a programming language isn't even something worth noting. It's learning the libraries and tools of a language that is what actually counts.

Try learning the core .Net libraries in a week. -> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg145045(v=VS.110).aspx

You don't need to learn anything with .NET that's what Visual Studio is for.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#77KaushadPosted 8/24/2013 10:58:18 AM
I am learning python this semester, c++ next semester, robot c(ridiculously easy btw) next year. I'll teach myself java, and maybe assembly. Then when I start college in 2 years (2016), I'll major in physics and computer engineering.
---
I stopped watching comedy on TV when I found the jimquisition and zero punctuation.
#78TheWayOfTheGunPosted 8/24/2013 11:16:21 AM(edited)
"You don't need to learn anything with .NET that's what Visual Studio is for."

What does this even mean? The code completion features in VS may show you the available methods, overloads, etc. They still don't tell you which objects or methods to use for a specific task.

How would you know when to use a List<T> instead of an IEnumerable<T> or even a standard array? Or when to use an IQueryable<T>?

That stuff is very important and VS doesn't teach it to you.

Not to mention that VS has hundreds of 1st and 3rd party plugins that you may need to utilized in your scenarios.

Point being, it's never as simple as learning the language. Not if you want to actually build real world applications.
#79ElementalWindPosted 8/24/2013 11:12:50 AM
Imagine Clippy popping up and saying, "It looks like you're trying to implement something already present in the standard library."
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
#80brainlackPosted 8/24/2013 11:43:34 AM
every programing language here I know but am I the only one who knows how to use sap delphi lua and ruby?
---
playing re6 with 8x sparse grid ss with 32xs(2x2 ss + 8 ms)+ mixed sample x128 + 32 forced anisotropic then I hear ps4 is powerful than my pc