This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going to buy a gaming keyboard & mouse today, any recommendations?

#1KOTRwhoopsPosted 8/21/2013 1:00:55 PM
I've been researching gaming keyboards for a couple of weeks and I can't make a decision, there's so many choices and I keep coming back to the Sidewinder x4 as it seems to have everything I want. Do you have any recommendations?

Please note, I've set myself a budget of 50 (approx $75), I don't have to spend my entire budget I would rather have value for money.

I haven't even really started on the mouse yet, my budget for this is 30 (approx $45). The one I've initially eyed up is this Anker one as it has good reviews and seems good value:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Precision-Programmable-Cartridges-Switches/dp/B00AAQRNQ8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1377114318&sr=8-7&keywords=anker

What do you think? My overall budget for the both is 80 (approx $110), so I'm happy to be flexible but don't want to go over that 80 limit.

Any helpful replies and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
---
PLAYING - Xenoblade (Wii), New Super Luigi U (WU), Tales Of Xillia (PS3)
MOST WANTED - GTAV, Lightning Returns, FFXV, Watchdogs, X, KHIII, FFX/X-2 Remaster
#2BogePosted 8/21/2013 1:03:57 PM(edited)
I have a Sidewinder x4. I wish I'd never bought it. The only thing that makes it a "gaming" keyboard is the backlights and the macro keys, which I care about neither one of them. It feels like every other keyboard I've ever used. If I could go back, I'd just spend $20 on some plain Jane keyboard and be happy.

For a mouse, I'd go with a Logitech G400 or Razer Deathadder. Both are good choices.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#3GabrielVanPosted 8/21/2013 1:03:32 PM
I have the Sidewinder X4 and I have no complaints about it. It's comfortable looks nice and has all the features I need. It's also affordable compared to many others, so that's a big + as well.

As far as mice go, I haven't upgraded from my trusty ol' Microsoft Intellimouse yet.. thinking about getting something new soon.
#4Master_BassPosted 8/21/2013 1:17:14 PM(edited)
I'd recommend a mechanical keyboard, but that will most likely wipe out your budget entirely or almost. The Sidewinder is most likely the best keyboard you'll find that isn't mechanical.

As for mice, the Deathadder is a popular pick around here. The black edition is the closest one I saw to your budget. The Logitech G400 or G400s are also good choices.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-Deathadder-Black-Edition-Gaming/dp/B004MR3QY4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1377115823&sr=8-3&keywords=deathadder
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#5fataliPosted 8/21/2013 1:14:33 PM
Mouse I would recommend the logitech G400.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#6GabrielVanPosted 8/21/2013 1:15:49 PM
Boge posted...
I have a Sidewinder x4. I wish I'd never bought it. The only thing that makes it a "gaming" keyboard is the backlights and the macro keys, which I care about neither one of them. It feels like every other keyboard I've ever used. If I could go back, I'd just spend $20 on some plain Jane keyboard and be happy.

Except the Sidewinder X4 also has anti-ghosting, which is essential for gaming.
#7Garquille14Posted 8/21/2013 1:46:19 PM(edited)
Recommended mice with perfect sensors:

Zowie EC1 evo
Zowie EC2 evo
Zowie AM
Zowie FK
WMO 1.1a
Logitech G400 / G400s
Kinzuadder
Razer Deathadder
Razer Abyssus
Roccat Savu
CM Storm Spawn

I don't recommend a gaming keyboard unless it's mechanical or has a feature that you very specifically want. If you do get mechanical then I recommend MX Brown keys, and to a lesser extent Red or Black keys. Blue keys are the only MX keys with a gaming disadvantage.

keyboards are the least important gaming peripheral so don't sacrifice your mouse for it
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#8AtomicPenguin76Posted 8/21/2013 1:47:32 PM
Buy the Anker. I love the Deathadder, but that Anker is a better mouse and is cheaper than what you can usually find the Deathadder for.

If you're not spending much for a keyboard, there's not much to recommend there; just go for whatever fits your budget and has a layout like what you'd want.
#9KOTRwhoops(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 1:59:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm thinking of going with the Logitech 400s (I like the look) and the Sidewinder 4x still, the main thing I like about the SW is that it looks comfortable (I could be wrong?). I wish it was a blue LED though...

What about Roccat? Are their keyboards any good? I've been looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roccat-Isku-Illuminated-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00A13WB62/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1377118765&sr=1-1&keywords=roccat
---
PLAYING - Xenoblade (Wii), New Super Luigi U (WU), Tales Of Xillia (PS3)
MOST WANTED - GTAV, Lightning Returns, FFXV, Watchdogs, X, KHIII, FFX/X-2 Remaster
#10_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/21/2013 2:05:01 PM(edited)
Prioritize the mouse. Do not look for fancy gimmicks like adjustable weight and adjustable lights. Instead, go for a decent sensor with a shape that works well for you. In your budget, the G400(s) should do nicely, provided that the shape of the mouse works for you.

The sidewinder X4 is often recommended. I bought it for a friend of mine who was looking for a backlit keyboard. He is very happy with it. For me personally, I liked the small no-nonsense footprint, I was ok with the look of it, and I like the way keys were shaped. Bad thing about it for me was the coating that felt slippery and plasticky. Worth noting that as far as rubber domes go, I thought that the feel when typing on it was quite alright, but that is of course subjective.

I have the Filco Majestouch 2 tenkeyless with Cherry MX browns for a keyboard. I have the Zowie FK for a mouse. I am super happy with both of them. It will be a while before I try something else, took me a long time and many different peripherals (and wasted money) before I found a keyboard and mouse that felt just right for me in every way.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H