This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why cant AAA titles design tech like this for racing games?

#1N3xtG3nGam3rPosted 8/21/2013 9:47:15 PM
Even at that, it doesn't have to be racing games. The physics sim in this game could be applied to anything, it just so happens to be cars. But the crew that made BeamNG-Drive, is just a small group of guys, with free time, trying to accomplish things other people refuse to.

I paid for the alpha version, as I have been waiting for a year to get my hands on this. Theres a free playable tech demo for it out aswell, if you don't want to pay just yet. Game is nowhere near finished either, and can only get better over time.

Link to the playable tech demo:

http://www.beamng.com/BeamNG.drive

Fun to mess around with, but the alpha version is where its at. More cars, updated frequently with content, and fixes. 3-4 months from now, you could have a 60$ game that has multiplayer, and races, missions, mods, etc.

Worth the 15$ I paid, and I suggest if you like it to buy it aswell and support these guys, not to mention after they continually add content, the price may go up. Its people like this that we need in the gaming industry. People who aren't afraid of risk.
---
ASUS p8h61-M (Rev 3.0) | Intel CORE i3 2100 | 4GB Dual-Channel DDr3 | 500GB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia EVGA GTX 570 1.2GB GDDr5
#2DeanWhipperPosted 8/21/2013 9:55:01 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3Solid_FakePosted 8/21/2013 9:55:47 PM
DeanWhipper posted...
Wasn't there a trailer showing off physics like this for Far Cry 3? We sure know how that turned out...

On topic, that looks awesome, I may obtain it illegitimately

Pretty sure someone on this board made that...
---
Do you get to the Cloud District very often?
Oh, what am I saying; of course you don't.
#4JavelinPosted 8/21/2013 10:13:12 PM
Regarding racing games, unless the game in question is in the Burnout series, that wouldn't really add anything to the game that was worth the development resources they would have to spend. In a game that's a actual racing sim, and not an arcade racer like Gran Turismo, crashing into the wall or into other cars basically means you've lost the race -- game over. They don't need to rub in your loss by presenting you with a perfectly-modeled wreck.

As for why highly-realistic physics simulation isn't more prevalent in other games, it's because of NVIDIA's monopoly on PhysX. Most developers aren't willing to allocate time and money to a feature that a large percentage of the player base won't be able to use.
---
NOW PLAYING: Torchlight II, Dota 2, Crusader Kings II
#5wizardmonPosted 8/22/2013 4:26:46 AM
Javelin posted...
Regarding racing games, unless the game in question is in the Burnout series, that wouldn't really add anything to the game that was worth the development resources they would have to spend. In a game that's a actual racing sim, and not an arcade racer like Gran Turismo, crashing into the wall or into other cars basically means you've lost the race -- game over. They don't need to rub in your loss by presenting you with a perfectly-modeled wreck.

As for why highly-realistic physics simulation isn't more prevalent in other games, it's because of NVIDIA's monopoly on PhysX. Most developers aren't willing to allocate time and money to a feature that a large percentage of the player base won't be able to use.

One of the best parts of BeamsNG is the suspension/shocks\steering/ and tires can all deform realistically. For a true sim that's a feature worth thinking about.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#6El_ZaggyPosted 8/22/2013 6:14:39 AM(edited)
Javelin posted...

Well Gran Turismo has this 'the real driving simulator' subtitle.... So just try to drive at 160 mph and hit a wall. If its a simulator, if should be the same result in game than in real life. It sucks but if you hit a wall you doesnt deserve to win a race. Thats what the word 'simulator' is for. Sadly GT doesnt have this feature. But I want this feature. you could turn it on or off if you want... But at least it will be more 'simulator' like this
#7GlitchwerksPosted 8/22/2013 6:25:47 AM
N3xtG3nGam3r posted...
But the crew that made BeamNG-Drive, is just a small group of guys, with free time, trying to accomplish things other people refuse to.

When it comes to damage modeling in racing games, there's a lot more in play.

Manufacturer licenses prohibit many of the things that video shows. Damage can never intrude into the cockpit and so there are a number of limitations there. Bent frames and so on are also not going to happen with licensed cars. Some licenses cost over a million dollars and the car makers are very specific about what can and cannot happen in their game (for example, Ferrari.)

Next, there's a limitation with the hardware. Most of the horsepower is being split between the handling physics and the graphics. Forza and Gran Turismo both maxed out their respective consoles. Project CARS has a tire model that is apparently so resource-heavy that when it comes to current generation consoles they are going to have to lower the game to 30 FPS and cut back on the advanced physics. Next gen consoles and PC won't have those limitations, of course.

Generally speaking, sim racers do want damage for the sake of realism, but when it comes to more realistic performance when driving, they would prefer that over better collision and damage systems.
---
http://i.imgur.com/VKZH3.jpg http://i.imgur.com/tMlSo.jpg http://i.imgur.com/OXGN0.gif http://gifsoup.com/view5/3907877/otw-o.gif
#8N3xtG3nGam3r(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 9:17:38 PM
Glitchwerks posted...
N3xtG3nGam3r posted...
But the crew that made BeamNG-Drive, is just a small group of guys, with free time, trying to accomplish things other people refuse to.

When it comes to damage modeling in racing games, there's a lot more in play.

Manufacturer licenses prohibit many of the things that video shows. Damage can never intrude into the cockpit and so there are a number of limitations there. Bent frames and so on are also not going to happen with licensed cars. Some licenses cost over a million dollars and the car makers are very specific about what can and cannot happen in their game (for example, Ferrari.)

Next, there's a limitation with the hardware. Most of the horsepower is being split between the handling physics and the graphics. Forza and Gran Turismo both maxed out their respective consoles. Project CARS has a tire model that is apparently so resource-heavy that when it comes to current generation consoles they are going to have to lower the game to 30 FPS and cut back on the advanced physics. Next gen consoles and PC won't have those limitations, of course.

Generally speaking, sim racers do want damage for the sake of realism, but when it comes to more realistic performance when driving, they would prefer that over better collision and damage systems.

You've seen the XNA Crash Demo with the Saleen S7 back from 2004 right? They did it in that tech demo--completely smashed the car into an accordion, cockpit and all.
---
ASUS p8h61-M (Rev 3.0) | Intel CORE i3 2100 | 4GB Dual-Channel DDr3 | 500GB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia EVGA GTX 570 1.2GB GDDr5
#9The_AntiGrimPosted 8/25/2013 9:57:59 PM
you'd think all the money big companies throw at games, they'd be able to consistently release amazing games.
---
Sidekick to the famous DarkHero
#10eddy1nsanePosted 8/26/2013 1:29:10 AM
Destruction derby anyone?
---
God created the world, everything else are made in China