This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I finished Alan Wake / American Nightmare. Good similar games?

#1CardigansFanPosted 8/21/2013 9:59:40 PM(edited)
In terms of having good story, soundtrack, game length, overall gameplay/mechanics. Live-action cutscenes are a big plus. So in other words, a singleplayer game that's just good overall.

So out of the singleplayer games I own, which should I start with given what I'm looking for?:
Arkham City (loved Arkham Asylum)
Amnesia: Dark Descent
Anna - Extended Edition
Cryostasis (played a few hours but never finished it)
Dark Fall: Lost Souls
Darksiders 1 and 2
Dark Souls
Deus Ex: HR
Devil May Cry 3 and 4
FEAR 1 and 2 (I think I beat the first on the 360 but didn't pay attention to the story much)
Hard Reset
Homefront
Kane & Lynch 1 and 2
Legendary
Mirror's Edge
Penumbra games
Portal 2
Resident Evil 5 and Racoon City
The Void
Trine 2
Velvet Assassin
Watchmen 1 and 2

These were just random games I picked out of my list that caught my attention; if you have anything else to suggest, feel free:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/CardigansFan/games/?tab=all&sort=name

I'm mostly looking for something to beat once, maybe twice, and be done with - so I can get it out of my backlog.
---
3570k | GTX670 FTW | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Nexus 4 16GB White * Sharp Actius MM20 * AKA Magus77
#2daemon_danPosted 8/21/2013 10:15:47 PM
To the Moon. Best story in a game I've seen in a long damn time
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#3jddaman2Posted 8/22/2013 2:51:32 AM(edited)
Out of your list i'd say Deus Ex, Deus Ex HR, Blackwell and Alpha Protocol. They're all fantastic well written games. But overall i'd say the original Deus Ex. It is probably one of the most well written games ever made with an absolutely fantastic soundtrack, atmosphere and cast of characters. Each playthrough will usually be different considering there's so many options. Hell if you wanted to, early on you can kill off some important characters like they're nothing and the game will continue.
---
Brofistus Maximus
#4TowerBooks3192Posted 8/22/2013 3:01:31 AM
daemon_dan posted...

Agree to this

Conditions on how to play the game and really savor it:

- Make sure you have time to spare (minimum of 4 hours)
- Ensure you are in a quite room and you have either a good speaker or some good headset
- Take care of your needs before playing (food, toilet, sleep, etc.)
- Make sure no one disturbs you and you have no other commitments for the day that could affect your time.

Play the game straight and without any walkthrough or anything. Its really worth it and I did a marathon run for 4 hours from 3am to 7pm for that game and its really really worth it.

Best part of the game is the soundtrack and I am hoping the site would sort out when they would finish the music box that they are selling since the last time I checked it was on pre-order.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#5Leram02Posted 8/22/2013 3:26:05 AM
Not really a similar game at all, but Dark Souls.
#6MackorovPosted 8/22/2013 3:42:52 AM
Dead Space and Resident Evil are the only other games that give you that clumsy over-the shoulder shooting feel like in Alan Wake. Dead Space matches best though
#7SlaynPosted 8/22/2013 6:34:23 AM
Did you like American Nightmare? I tried it for an hour, seemed lame. I loved the Alan Wake base game, but the DLC was pure crap.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#8CardigansFan(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2013 6:44:21 AM(edited)
TowerBooks3192 posted...
daemon_dan posted...

Agree to this

Picked up the soundtrack edition, I'll play it when I have those four hours to spare.

jddaman2 posted...
Out of your list i'd say Deus Ex, Deus Ex HR, Blackwell and Alpha Protocol. They're all fantastic well written games. But overall i'd say the original Deus Ex. It is probably one of the most well written games ever made with an absolutely fantastic soundtrack, atmosphere and cast of characters. Each playthrough will usually be different considering there's so many options. Hell if you wanted to, early on you can kill off some important characters like they're nothing and the game will continue.

I might save Deus Ex for later based on how long it'll be to play and re-play; how are Blackwell and Alpha Protocol in terms of replayability and whanot?

Leram02 posted...
Not really a similar game at all, but Dark Souls.

It's more of an action RPG, right?

Slayn posted...
Did you like American Nightmare? I tried it for an hour, seemed lame. I loved the Alan Wake base game, but the DLC was pure crap.

I liked it and the DLC. I liked the base game more for the horror aspect, but I kinda like how they did the story with American Nightmare more. I really liked the overall story of the series, though.
---
3570k | GTX670 FTW | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Nexus 4 16GB White * Sharp Actius MM20 * AKA Magus77
#9jddaman2Posted 8/22/2013 6:59:13 AM
how are Blackwell and Alpha Protocol in terms of replayability and whanot?

Alpha Protocol has some replayablity with different choices actually having meaning but Blackwell has absolutely 0 replayability but the series is pretty different from what to expect in a standard game.
---
Brofistus Maximus
#10xanthan1Posted 8/22/2013 8:58:48 AM(edited)
CardigansFan posted...

I might save Deus Ex for later based on how long it'll be to play and re-play; how are Blackwell and Alpha Protocol in terms of replayability and whanot?

Play it, wait for the after credits sequence, play through it again doing the hubs in a different order and making different choices and such. See how much it changes man.

Alot.
PS. At least once team up with Stephen Heck.

Only problem you might have is the controls being a little spotty at times. Like the hacking minigame, just remember to move your mouse SLOWLY so you don't need to pick it up constantly.

If you want to make it easy use pistols and stealth. Chain headshot your way to victory.