This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New PC gamer, looking at an alienware 17 laptop. Advice needed

#1ModernFOXXPosted 8/21/2013 9:57:50 PM
Soooo I'm finally getting the chance to get a gaming level laptop. (i have no space for a desktop) I'm 16 going on 17 so it took me a while to finally get the money. (Gas, games, PS4 pre-order payed off, and other stuff kept getting in the way)

But anyways i dont know pc gaming that well. I dont know whats good or bad. I can't make my own, i just dont know enough to do that. (yet) So i'd rather just buy one. I've heard good things about Alienware so i went to their site and chose the 17. It came out 1,953 (30$ was a carrying sleeve) And as a person who is new to this area of gaming and tech, is this a decent build for the price?My limit is 2 grand btw. My goal is to be able to run Skyrim wit cool mods and things. big games like that. I know i cant just go MAX GRAPHIC WITH SUPER TEXTURE MODS!!! (Unless i can that'd be great) But can i accomplish this? PLEASE GIVE ADVICE

The specs are:
Operating System --- Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit, English
Memory --- 16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
Video Card --- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M with 3GB GDDR5
Driver --- Broadcom 4352 802.11 ac 2x2 and BT Driver
Hard Drive --- 750GB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200 RPM)
Processor --- 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz)
---
Why Albert...why? ~Sincerely, a Cardinals fan...No loyalty at all from what could've been the greatest Card ever, Albert Pujols.-------PSN: ANDR0iD_v3
#2TimePharaohPosted 8/21/2013 10:05:48 PM
You should find the space and save a thousand dollars while also having something that isn't counter-intuitive to gaming
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#3ModernFOXX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 10:09:23 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
You should find the space and save a thousand dollars while also having something that isn't counter-intuitive to gaming

How is it counter intuitive? But also i just want a laptop for now be able to bring it to school for projects and travel with it. When i'm older and move out then i'll get a desktop, but for now im getting a laptop. So right now i just want advice on THIS. not whether or not to get a desktop. And yes i know they are better and more easily upgradeable
---
Why Albert...why? ~Sincerely, a Cardinals fan...No loyalty at all from what could've been the greatest Card ever, Albert Pujols.-------PSN: ANDR0iD_v3
#4GreenMage7Posted 8/21/2013 10:13:52 PM
http://www.xoticpc.com/index.html

The places you want to look with the latest systems are: Clevo/Sager, MSI, and Xotic PC Force (which is more of a barebones MSI one with their branding).

You can easily customize one of those to be better than the Alienware one for less money. I highly suggest you get at least a boot SSD for a laptop. Look at the ones with the 780m. They are pretty much all cheaper and more powerful than the one you are looking at.
#5TimePharaohPosted 8/21/2013 10:14:42 PM
ModernFOXX posted...
TimePharaoh posted...

How is it counter intuitive? But also i just want a laptop for now be able to bring it to school for projects and travel with it. When i'm older and move out then i'll get a desktop, but for now im getting a laptop. So right now i just want advice on THIS. not whether or not to get a desktop. And yes i know they are better and more easily upgradeable

The entire design of a laptop is counter-intuitive to gaming.

And I mean, you could get a better, stronger desktop+a decent laptop for school....still cheaper than that
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#6ModernFOXX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 10:17:32 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
ModernFOXX posted...
TimePharaoh posted...

And I mean, you could get a better, stronger desktop+a decent laptop for school....still cheaper than that

well yea but like i keep saying, FOR NOW i dont want a desktop. later i will but not now, and any suggestions then?
---
#7arfarf624Posted 8/21/2013 10:26:06 PM
desktop to get best price for performance, if not laptop from xotic pc. 2k is a lot to spend of a new laptop that will loose value quickly due the advancing technology. I got the sager 6165 around the same time last year.
---
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#8TwinqePosted 8/21/2013 10:30:14 PM
If you get a "gaming" laptop, you will not want to bring it to school. You will not want to bring it anywhere due to its size. If you want a laptop, get a cheap one for school and a gaming desktop. Being in highschool is a great time to have a desktop. Bringing the desktop to college will be no problem assuming you're staying in-state. And even so, the most you would have to do is get a new case and bring the other components in a box. if you don't have room for a desktop then you need a new table. Desktops do not take up a large amount of space.

Learning to build your own will take 2 hours of watching videos on YouTube, and it is not hard.

If you're dead set on getting a laptop, well, as said above, Clevo/Sager and MSI make high end gaming laptops. Just know you'll be spending $1,000 dollars extra.
---
3DS FC: 4511-1880-0614 | Steam: Twinqe
#9MasterDonGeroPosted 8/21/2013 10:34:21 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10ModernFOXX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 10:55:39 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
ModernFOXX posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
ModernFOXX posted...
TimePharaoh posted...

well yea but like i keep saying, FOR NOW i dont want a desktop. later i will but not now, and any suggestions then?

So, I'm saying FOR NOW, you're a ****ing idiot. Actually, not just now. Always. Sorry for misleading you.

no need to be a D***....right now i just want a laptop. When i move out I'll get a desktop...

But anyway i looked at the site one of you guys showed me and built an MSI which was far better than the alienware for only about 60 bucks more. 32 gigs of ram, and a NVIDIA GeForce 780.Which are both better than the Alienware's specs. Thanks for the help. And i'll be sure to use that site when im ready for a desktop.

I realized the alienware is basically more flash for more cash, but the others are better performing but not as cool looking. Only thing even SLIGHTLY making me still want the alienware is the keyboard being able to change colors, and even multiple colors for different areas of the keyboard. But i need to be logical and just get the better hardware. Yet again, thanks
---