This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New PC gamer, looking at an alienware 17 laptop. Advice needed

#11gatorattack05Posted 8/21/2013 11:57:20 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#12ModernFOXX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 11:59:13 PM
and one more thing. My Astro A50 headset should work with most gaming laptops right?
---
Why Albert...why? ~Sincerely, a Cardinals fan...No loyalty at all from what could've been the greatest Card ever, Albert Pujols.-------PSN: ANDR0iD_v3
#13hondaman42390Posted 8/22/2013 12:51:49 AM
ModernFOXX posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
You should find the space and save a thousand dollars while also having something that isn't counter-intuitive to gaming

How is it counter intuitive? But also i just want a laptop for now be able to bring it to school for projects and travel with it. When i'm older and move out then i'll get a desktop, but for now im getting a laptop. So right now i just want advice on THIS. not whether or not to get a desktop. And yes i know they are better and more easily upgradeable

Don't expect to easily transport it with school books and whatnot. Alienware 17" is a large, heavy beast.
#14datopgamerPosted 8/22/2013 1:01:12 AM
hondaman42390 posted...
ModernFOXX posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
You should find the space and save a thousand dollars while also having something that isn't counter-intuitive to gaming

How is it counter intuitive? But also i just want a laptop for now be able to bring it to school for projects and travel with it. When i'm older and move out then i'll get a desktop, but for now im getting a laptop. So right now i just want advice on THIS. not whether or not to get a desktop. And yes i know they are better and more easily upgradeable

Don't expect to easily transport it with school books and whatnot. Alienware 17" is a large, heavy beast.

It's not like a 17" laptop is hard to transport. It doesn't even weigh that much and there are plenty of bags that can carry it. Hell I carry a 17" laptop, a laptop cooler, an external drive, my astro headset, 3ds, psp and sometimes a 360 and still have room to spare. It's just about finding a bag to accommodate the size.
---
I5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 12 gigs DDR3 memory, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, 2x EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC sli, Seasonic 750w PSU, ASUS 24" monitor, 2x 23" Acer Monitors
#15GreenMage7Posted 8/22/2013 1:35:27 AM(edited)
datopgamer posted...
It's not like a 17" laptop is hard to transport. It doesn't even weigh that much and there are plenty of bags that can carry it. Hell I carry a 17" laptop, a laptop cooler, an external drive, my astro headset, 3ds, psp and sometimes a 360 and still have room to spare. It's just about finding a bag to accommodate the size.

This is a serious question.

Have you ever knocked someone over by turning too quickly on a crowded sidewalk?
#16Alienware4LifePosted 8/22/2013 1:42:28 AM
People dont realize that alienware buyers dont want to mess with building their own and have the money to spend on them.
---
Check out my PC,360,ps3, Movie, Old School game vidoes http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicConspiracy?feature=mhee
#17TowerBooks3192Posted 8/22/2013 2:24:56 AM
If you really require a laptop. Have you checked those clevo laptops or something? I think you could customise them depending on the seller. Its barebones and cost a whole lot cheaper than alienware.

If you could really avoid it then for the love of God! build a PC. I have no regrets with mine even though I only went on to the store and gave them my budget and asked them to change some parts.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#18analogmanPosted 8/22/2013 2:52:27 AM
enjoy your bsods.
---
check my quote :DD
#19hondaman42390Posted 8/22/2013 3:28:57 AM(edited)
datopgamer posted...
hondaman42390 posted...
ModernFOXX posted...
TimePharaoh posted...

I didn't enjoy carrying my 17" laptop + three 400+ page textbooks on my walks around campus my freshman year.

I guess b/c you don't mind it he shouldn't give it any thought then. Your experience is exactly what everyone else's is. /sarcasm

Just giving him something to think about.
#20LaMichael_JamesPosted 8/22/2013 9:49:23 AM
a 10 lb 17" alienware monstrosity is not good for carrying around daily for school

you will look like a fool with that thing in a lecture hall

dont be a lazy kid and learn to build a pc. it's pretty fun
---
GOAT