This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New PC gamer, looking at an alienware 17 laptop. Advice needed

#21IronSasquatchPosted 8/22/2013 10:02:22 AM
Serious question, why are you asking for advice if you're just going to ignore all the solid advice you're getting in this topic anyway? Like others have said, you're spending a ton more money than you need to on brand and convenience. If you really want my advice, I think you should just wait until you CAN get a desktop, learn how to build one (it's not that hard), and just buy a cheap laptop for school.
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#22fiasco86Posted 8/22/2013 10:07:44 AM
Look ModernFOXX, although some of the people in this thread have gone about saying it in the wrong way, what they're saying is true. If you drop $2,000 on a gaming laptop, you will come to regret it. Gaming laptops just aren't worth what they cost, even if you have the money.

Everyone in this thread who has advised you to get a more cost-effective and more portable/practical laptop is right. Use the leftover money for a far superior gaming PC that you build yourself. An added benefit is that you'll learn a lot about PCs, how they work, and you'll gain the ability to troubleshoot problems when they crop up.

I'm not trying to be rude, but just by the specs you posted and the order you posted them in, it's clear you don't know enough about PCs to be able to make a well-informed, good decision about what to get and how much to spend on it. I really would advise you to listen to those in this thread who have more experience with the technology, know what's necessary and what's not, and know what it should cost you.

All this advice is especially applicable considering you've already invested in a PS4. You already have a next-gen gaming device coming. Spend the money you have on a decent laptop that you can use for school and whatnot. Clear some space in your room and get a small desk or table for your PC. In the meantime, do some more research, watch some videos, ask questions. Learn what you really need if you want to get into PC gaming (read: not a laptop).

Long story short, if you really want to get into PC gaming, you're going about it all wrong. There's a fairly high learning curve as you are coming into PC gaming, so don't blow off the advice that those who are already in the know are giving you.
---
Game Conquerors Top 100 Games of All Time
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBdvbVOHRybalW-7GExzgqbbBf1bGVV3L
#23fuzzymanPosted 8/22/2013 10:12:12 AM(edited)
I recommend getting the lowest clocked i7 and if there is radeon 7970M or 8970M get that or spend more and get GTX 780M

Don't buy Dell RAM upgrades unless there is a "free" deal or something. It will come with 8GB at least

Also don't buy their HDD upgrade, if you want to save $$ do it yourself.

You can upgrade the CPU yourself, but the thermals of haswell and ivy bridge are terrible in notebooks, hence why I recommend the lowest clocked one

Oh, and one tip. Buy Clevo/Sager if you are concerned for theft, they blend in that much more well.
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg
#24PhilOnDezPosted 8/22/2013 10:44:25 AM
If you have room for a console build something like this and put it next to said console

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1uYWh

That leaves you $1200 to buy an ultrabook to carry around if you actually need it at this point.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#25ch0ppedinhalfPosted 8/22/2013 11:41:26 AM
I have an m17x r4 with a gtx 675 m
I love it :)
---
Steam Mrchopped
psn mrchopped
#26Retro_CuddlesPosted 8/22/2013 11:49:05 AM
you really want 32GB RAM? are you working for NASA or something? its not needed for gaming. hell ive got 16GB and i dont need it.
---
My IQ is 20 below genius, so im almost genius
R.I.P Paul Bearer