This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FFXIV RR - The best game recovery ever?

#21ThePCElitistPosted 8/23/2013 10:30:46 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#22ThePCElitistPosted 8/23/2013 10:34:32 PM
jessevale posted...
Why does everyone praise them for supposedly 'listening'? What, were they supposed to accept the massive financial loss? They listened to the suits and shareholders, not the players.

And it's gotten meh feedback from everyone I know. Above average production values but still typical MMO. Astounding success? Huh.

Because so far Yoshi-P has made an astounding effort to correct all wrong with the original game concept. They went from making a terrible FFXI clone to a game that's actually fun. There's a reason so many people are anticipating the launch in 3.5 hours from now.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#23machetemanPosted 8/23/2013 10:57:01 PM(edited)
ThePCElitist posted...
jessevale posted...
Why does everyone praise them for supposedly 'listening'? What, were they supposed to accept the massive financial loss? They listened to the suits and shareholders, not the players.

And it's gotten meh feedback from everyone I know. Above average production values but still typical MMO. Astounding success? Huh.

Because so far Yoshi-P has made an astounding effort to correct all wrong with the original game concept. They went from making a terrible FFXI clone to a game that's actually fun. There's a reason so many people are anticipating the launch in 3.5 hours from now.

Your entire post just reiterated what jessevale said....

Yoshi-P took a abysmal game and so far has made it into an average, run of the mill MMO that does everything an MMO should, except have extremely boring combat and class/ability system.

Explain to me why this game should be held in such high regard that doesn't involve, "It's better than FFXIV 1.0".

And lol @ "The game is good because people are anticipating the launch"....you do realize people "anticipate" EVERY MMO launch? There were thousands of players "anticipating" 1.0....didn't change the fact the game was a piece of trash.

The only positive feedback I am seeing from FFXIV is what you and some other people have so eloquently expressed: "The game is good because it's better than 1.0." Outside of personal preferences, I don't think there is any aspect that ARR does "great", except for maybe look pretty.
#24ThePCElitistPosted 8/23/2013 11:00:28 PM
macheteman posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
jessevale posted...

Your entire post just reiterated what jessevale said....

Yoshi-P took a abysmal game and so far has made it into an average, run of the mill MMO that does everything an MMO should, except have extremely boring combat and class/ability system.

Explain to me why this game should be held in such high regard that doesn't involve, "It's better than FFXIV 1.0".

And lol @ "The game is good because people are anticipating the launch"....you do realize people "anticipate" EVERY MMO launch? There were thousands of players "anticipating" 1.0....didn't change the fact the game was a piece of trash.

The only positive feedback I am seeing from FFXIV is what you and some other people have so eloquently expressed: "The game is good because it's better than 1.0." Outside of personal preferences, I don't think there is any aspect that ARR does "great", except for maybe look pretty.

Ignored. I don't bother with trolls and mindless bashing.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#25machetemanPosted 8/23/2013 11:18:05 PM(edited)
ThePCElitist posted...
Ignored. I don't bother with trolls and mindless bashing.

No, you don't bother with logic and un-biased opinions. Cya.

edit: still waiting for some reasoning as to why FFXIV ARR is actually a "good" MMO. im sick of the "its good because its better than 1.0" or my personal favorite, "FFXIV will never go F2P because FFXI never went F2P"
#26jessevalePosted 8/24/2013 12:13:57 AM
Geeze I thought I was gonna take major hate for that comment. I'm glad some agree.

Also lol at calling 1.0 a terrible XI clone. 1.0 was nothing like XI. It was just a bad game with no content, with development outsourced to China. Don't take XI down a peg to compliment XIV.

XIV has nothing going for it quality wise compared to the slew of every other MMO that releases like clockwork from both no name and of name studios (mostly Korea), besides maybe higher production value (which is a given). They were literally instructed to go into development making a WoW-inspired game. Wada said this himself and even went as far as stating when he saw 1.0 before release, he knew it would fail because "it wasn't WoW enough." More like it failed because the company responsible for it put almost no effort into it thinking they could capitalize on their first success and the market, which is unbelievable given said market for MMOs has and always will be redundant and dead.

XI was from a golden age when MMOs were something else. It didn't go free to play because it didn't have to. The market wasn't like it is now, and neither was the company. This is not the same time and place for another MMO. Especially one that isn't trying anything new. Not that risks would do well either - the genre is just dead. It was dead from the time the term MMO came into popular use.

Though it does still make money. It must, judging by how many developers big and small rush to release them. XIV will stay afloat. But it won't be a good game and SE does not deserve the attention from fans who don't yet know better. I do plan on getting the free month I earned 3 years ago when I bought the CE. I'll see from there. Hilarious how you don't get early access even if you bought the game 3 years early.
---
Eagerly awaiting FFXIV's inevitable failure. Even a fantastic game cannot withstand initial bad press & the long-dead MMO format. Sad but true.
#27chrono625Posted 8/24/2013 7:51:56 AM
Pretty much a decent looking game (gimped because of PS3's lack of power vs PC), with slow combat and average pacing for an MMO.

Anyone who said it's better than 1.0 but still just an average MMO hit it on the head.

Anyone who thinks it's better than what it is, is probably just wearing fanboy goggles.

I played the beta for an entire weekend. Got to level 13-15. I did enjoy the game and the effects were pretty. But the combat is wayyyyy too slow for me to stick with it long haul.
---
http://tinyurl.com/7wjgorf - Super Bowl XLVI Champions - NY Giants
Eli Manning SB tracker: 2/2 Superbowls 2/2 SBMVP's