This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When will PC get hUMA like abilities like ps4?

#41Knight2520Posted 8/22/2013 4:39:14 PM(edited)
It seems like the TC would rather defend his PC than his topic.

He still hasn't responded to:

Snuckie7 posted...
Also, is the PS4 even getting hUMA?

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Sony-PlayStation-4-PS4-will-NOT-utilize-AMD-hUMA-Kabini-based-SoC?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It's a knightimex topic. The guy posts maybe once a month so a lot of people forget in the meantime that he's a troll.
---
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos
#42MasterDonGeroPosted 8/22/2013 4:44:28 PM
knightimex posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
I'm still not seeing your point. You do not own a PC that was worth $1200 at any point in its lifespan.

Now, back on topic

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Sony-PlayStation-4-PS4-will-NOT-utilize-AMD-hUMA-Kabini-based-SoC?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

By you logic a gtx titan isn't worth its price.
Maybe to you, but you're not a business either.

You must have misread. He means that your PC has never been worth $1,200.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#43DerPancakePosted 8/22/2013 4:51:00 PM
The GTX 770 is trash.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#44AsellusPosted 8/22/2013 6:35:38 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
It seems like the TC would rather defend his PC than his topic.

He still hasn't responded to:

Snuckie7 posted...

Ha, nice find.
#45PanopictonguyPosted 8/22/2013 6:48:21 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1v9Cs

Can this Beat the Ps4?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)

Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($119.98 @ Outlet PC)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($60.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $760.90
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#46Panzer_SquidPosted 8/22/2013 6:55:18 PM
fuzzyman posted...
"HUMA" has been around ever since the IGP

"HSA" is the whole episode involving the CPU and GPU merging under the brand of a more advanced processing unit, aka the APU

But in reality the CPU will be replaced by GPU architecture and that is all

PS4 would have to support simultaneous memory because there is only one pool of memory. Evidently you could split the memory space but it sounds more reasonable to use only one pool.

IGPUs are just GPUs on die. Currently IGPs can access memory or CPU can access memory. So it's like

Memory reserved for GPU <-> GPU and Memory Reserved for CPU <-> CPU

HUMA will basically make it so:

GPU <-> unified memory <-> CPU

And "HSA" isn't the CPU and GPU merging into anything. APUs are just APUs and older APUs with no support for "HSA" are still APUs. HSA is pretty much just a buzzword used by AMD to promote their approach to designing processors and software to make GPU compute easier to program and utilize. HSA isn't an actual, tangible thing like HUMA (unified memory design) or AMD's Bolt library.

And the CPU will be replace by GPU? That doesn't even make sense. If anything the GPU will be fully integrated into the CPU. CPUs and GPUs primarily handle two completely different types of processing: sequential and parallel respectively so there's no way one would be replaced by the other.
---
The Panzer Squid is the ultimate hunter, blending into any environment until it has the opportunity to shove a rocket up urbum
#47GreenMage7Posted 8/22/2013 7:01:11 PM
Panopictonguy posted...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1v9Cs

Can this Beat the Ps4?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)

Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($119.98 @ Outlet PC)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($60.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $760.90

That system obliterates the PS4. You can make something that beats the PS4 for even less. Don't forget that people like the TC who troll on the internet also need a computer to facilitate said trolling. So go ahead and add that on to the cost of their PS4. And also don't forget the $50 a year you need to play video games online. And how much more games in general cost. Why is this even an argument. I have no problem with people who want to game on console. That's great, have fun with your video games. Just stop trolling here.
#48DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/22/2013 7:30:04 PM
Panzer_Squid posted...
fuzzyman posted...
"HUMA" has been around ever since the IGP

"HSA" is the whole episode involving the CPU and GPU merging under the brand of a more advanced processing unit, aka the APU

But in reality the CPU will be replaced by GPU architecture and that is all

PS4 would have to support simultaneous memory because there is only one pool of memory. Evidently you could split the memory space but it sounds more reasonable to use only one pool.

IGPUs are just GPUs on die. Currently IGPs can access memory or CPU can access memory. So it's like

Memory reserved for GPU <-> GPU and Memory Reserved for CPU <-> CPU

HUMA will basically make it so:

GPU <-> unified memory <-> CPU

And "HSA" isn't the CPU and GPU merging into anything. APUs are just APUs and older APUs with no support for "HSA" are still APUs. HSA is pretty much just a buzzword used by AMD to promote their approach to designing processors and software to make GPU compute easier to program and utilize. HSA isn't an actual, tangible thing like HUMA (unified memory design) or AMD's Bolt library.

And the CPU will be replace by GPU? That doesn't even make sense. If anything the GPU will be fully integrated into the CPU. CPUs and GPUs primarily handle two completely different types of processing: sequential and parallel respectively so there's no way one would be replaced by the other.

TDP limitations will make it unlikely for APUs to ever replace GPUs. There will likely, though, be a time when IGPs handle a lot of low-latency work parallel to the CPU before things are handed to the GPU for rendering. Intel has already been pushing that forward since Z68, though.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#49Dark_SpiretPosted 8/22/2013 7:40:22 PM
just curious, but how many of these threads are you going to make?

your a massive sony fanboy, we get it.
---
Currently playing: Saints Row 4 - Spelunky - The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
#50fuzzymanPosted 8/22/2013 7:51:00 PM(edited)
It's not TDP, it's efficiency

right now all code is tree branch linear code suited to random prediction

I'm very certain that a parallel branch architecture would be immensely more efficient, rather than separating workloads as with current multi-core processors

meaning if I had 2048 stream processors doing every bit of data in tandem, that would be a hella lot faster than even an Xeon with 20 threads

very very very certain

HSA is not just AMD's blogword, ARM and others are well onboard, Intel just prefers GPGPU

I would rename it, "DIE x86 DIE!!!"
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg