This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where can i go to learn about motherboards?

#1angermngment101Posted 8/22/2013 9:50:36 AM
Gonna be heading to a computer junk yard to see if i can get some cheap parts. What kind of slots am i looking for to be on a MB?

Whats important to have on a MB that i need to keep an eye out for?

Also what other components do i need to keep in mind while im there?
---
Gamefax
#2boochyPosted 8/22/2013 9:53:42 AM
I hear Google knows about motherboards.
---
Xbox Live GT/PSN ID - Duck Tales LOL/DuckTalesLOL
Steam ID: DuckTalesLOL
#3DerPancakePosted 8/22/2013 9:56:51 AM
I wouldn't recommend buying a used part from someone you don't know.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#4angermngment101(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2013 11:11:58 AM
Its not for a serious computer build or anything. Just for my own introduction to building PCs.

I will eventually replace all the parts with components that im more confident in. This is just a starting point to get something functional out of nothing.
---
Gamefax
#5geddoe_1027Posted 8/22/2013 11:58:03 AM
I wouldn't invest my money in junk parts just for an intro to PC building. Do your research, and put that money toward a final build with quality parts.

The first thing you want to look for in a MB is the socket, which tells you which CPUs are compatible with it. I would recommend Intel MBs with socket LGA1150 since that's the latest and greatest, and will future proof your system.

Next you should look at brands and models. I definitely recommend ASUS boards for their quality and performance.

Lastly, PCIe lanes could be something to look into. Most new boards are incorporating the newest PCI 3.0 slots with x16 or dual x8 configurations.

Other than that, you don't really need to concern yourself over anything else such as USB/SATA/Audio/Video ports, DIMM slots or VRM phases. If it has USB 3.0, SATA III and supports adequate RAM memory and clock speed, you are good to go.

As previously mentioned, Google is your friend. You can google all the terms I've mentioned and familiarize yourself with the key things on the MB. From there you can decide the rest of your interior parts such as the CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU, HDD... etc.
---
You're trolling. - Everyone
#6fuzzymanPosted 8/22/2013 12:09:19 PM
If it says PCI-e 2.0 16x it's a keeper

http://www.buckjones.net/pages/vidslots/mballslots.jpg

example there, it may be color coded it may not, but it is always a different size from the other slots (unless there are 2)

check the socket

recently you might find Intel LGA 775 which is good because it was supported a long while or AMD AM2 which is OK but AM2+ would be better just sounds less likely, AM3 would be sweet though but that's still very recent
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg
#7fuzzymanPosted 8/22/2013 12:11:00 PM
if you have a smartphone you could just google the part while you're there
---
#8fuzzymanPosted 8/22/2013 12:13:39 PM
oh if it's older than that, look for socket 939 AMD which got AMD 64 it's pretty decent still. and if it's LGA 478 Intel that's Pentium 4 era
---
#9angermngment101(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2013 4:01:09 PM
The company I work at is using nothing but i5 and i7 computers.

Lets say I find a few of those being recycled. What socket would those boards be?
---
Gamefax
#10OmegaDL50Posted 8/22/2013 4:14:44 PM(edited)
It entirely depends if it's Gen 1 (Nehalem), Gen 2 (Sandybridge / 3 (Ivybridge) or Gen 4 (Haswell)..which all used different socket types.

Gen 1 used LGA1156, Gen 2 and 3 is LGA1155, and the newest is LGA1150. OR they could be using LGA 2011, which is something entirely else.

Since they are work computers is there anyway you could get access to thier desktop? A simple right click on the "My Computer" and going to Properties should tell you what version it is and from there you can just match up the version number with it's motherboard socket.

Or downloading a utility called Speccy from Piriform will do a scan of hardware telling you what socket type, ram type, etc the work computers use.

Also just because you salvage a motherboard from a junk doesn't necessarily mean it will work. I'm guess you are using junk parts instead of new parts so you can get a basics of the internals of a PC tower. This should be fine, however it might be better to use a website like PCPartpicker that will let you select a built with no incompatibilities in terms of part selection.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.