This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is a Kindle Fire a good tablet for web-browsing/email/casual stuff like that?

#1MwulfPosted 8/22/2013 12:47:50 PM
I have a paperwhite and I love it, but don't really know anything about the Fires. And while I realize this is kind of off topic, tablets are technically personal computers, so please excuse me just this once.

Anyway, my mother's birthday is coming up and she's wanted a tablet for a long time. I'd like to give her one, but I can't afford an iPad. I just got an email from Amazon advertising a new sale ($70 off Kindle Fires) and that seems like a really good deal. Would a Fire work well for my mother? She'd mostly just use it for web-browsing, email, and casual apps like weather I imagine. And, of course, eBooks and music.

And if you guys know of any other good tablets in that price range that might be a decent alternative (no more than $200 USD) I'd appreciate any input.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#2OmegaReaper21Posted 8/22/2013 12:52:33 PM
Sure it is, I would recommend rooting it to make it a standard android device though (which I know really doesn't sound like something you would want to do).

I believe the Google Nexus 7 are around $200 and I have heard nothing but good things from it.
#3Mwulf(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2013 12:55:29 PM
Hm... Nexus 7 is $230, that's a bit much for me. She has a prime account, so she'd get all those benefits with the Fire--video streaming, cloud saving, etc. So I guess I'll go with that.

What are the benefits/risks of making a Fire into an Android device? Would I still be able to buy stuff from Amazon or is it like CFW on a PSP? Would it void the warranty or something like that?
---
-Char Aznable
#4sonicteam2k1Posted 8/22/2013 1:00:21 PM
damn the Nexus 7 went up in price. It was $199.99 when I bought them for my wife and sister
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#5reincarnator07Posted 8/22/2013 3:18:13 PM
Try and find the old Nexus 7.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#6r0ge00Posted 8/22/2013 3:46:02 PM
sonicteam2k1 posted...
damn the Nexus 7 went up in price. It was $199.99 when I bought them for my wife and sister

The $230 price is for the 2013 Nexus 7. It's pretty fair, considering the hardware inside.
#7PhilOnDezPosted 8/22/2013 3:57:17 PM
As long as she never needs to print anything it should be perfectly fine, or if she has a machine to print with already obviously.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#8Mwulf(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2013 9:36:18 PM
You can't print like an email or anything from a Fire HD?
---
-Char Aznable
#9HighOnPhazonPosted 8/23/2013 12:20:13 AM
Fire HD is too restrictive, It's basically an Amazon device and nothing more. You can browse but it's on a stock browser that frankly sucks.

Get any android tablet. i recommend a Samsung Note or Nexus 7. I have a Samsung Note 8 and it's incredible.
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB / Corsair TX650
#10SienrurouniPosted 8/23/2013 12:34:43 AM
I love my fire and wouldcertainly recommend it.
---
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane