This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Worst or just "ah damn it" moment building PCs

#1jessevalePosted 8/22/2013 12:21:11 PM
Ever messed up and had to kick yourself later? My most recent (and probably worst mistake tbh) is buying a 670 only a few months (I mean like 2 months seriously) before the 780 dropped, and because I bought the 4gb Asus, the price difference was null. So I lost a great deal of potential performance for virtually no extra cash. I didn't except it to drop at that price point, and I also wasn't keeping up on the tech lately, which is all my own fault of course.

Seriously how is it so cheap? Not fair dammit...
---
Eagerly awaiting FFXIV's inevitable failure. Even a fantastic game cannot withstand initial bad press & the long-dead MMO format. Sad but true.
#2Ha_D00DPosted 8/22/2013 12:28:33 PM
That is how I feel about my 7970. Don't get me wrong, its a great card, but if I knew that the 780 was about to drop, I would have waited.
---
HAF 922// i5 3570k// Hyper 212 Evo// P8Z77-V LK// Sapphire 7970 Dual-X Edition// 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws// SeaSonic 620w// Mushkin 120GB
#3ZachnornPosted 8/22/2013 12:30:37 PM
Remember: When it comes to buying anything related to computers (and other modern technology), you are getting screwed, no matter what. Something new will come out or what you bought will get cheaper, and it will always happen sooner than you would have liked. There are no exceptions. You cannot avoid it.
---
Zachnorn Everything is overrated.
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/4503/qrcode857546.th.png
#4fuzzymanPosted 8/22/2013 12:40:02 PM(edited)
Oh I messed up good last year

lost a good Athlon ll X4 640 ($99) and had to RMA a motherboard

One night I was drunk and wanted to get crossfire or get a Bulldozer. So I ordered an AMD 970 MSI mobo but wasn't really thinking

Anyway, when I got to putting it together, I was still waiting for my bulldozer, and I was internally questioning why I just bought a 970 if I was intending to crossfire soon...

So as I'm socketing the Athlon, I run into issues booting the thing. I check out the socket and I only believe it wasn't seated properly (but how can one not seat a CPU!). I'm fiddling with the metal snap and all the sudden, the ****ing brittle plastic socket cover split! I'm sincerely aggravated, I try booting it anyway but that doesn't work, so now I believe the mobo was already faulty, caused me to believe I had a bad seat, and in the process of removing the CPU I drop the ****ing thing and permanently destroy the pins

At least when I RMA with MSI they send me a replacement no problem, I ebay it, and get myself a proper 990FX... but the CPU is gone :(
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg
#5seanjonnyPosted 8/22/2013 12:38:33 PM
I hate shopping for video cards.

2007 I bought a good enough 8600 for $150 and thought I needed to max out the system. I bought a NX8800GTX MIS OC'd for $600. Slight improvement, not worth it and kick myself to this day. Also got ripped buying the Phenom Black edition on release day - ran hot with Vista and didn't overclock.

Built 2 month ago got a 7970 off NXIC for $400 took 1 month to send back after instant cancellation. Ended up with a 7970 GHZ vapor x with 4 games for $350- no other part do I have buyers remorse. Also went Windows 8 - read reviews and watched youtube paid 5 bucks to send back to Amazon for Win 7.
---
i5. Evo+. 7970 vapor x. 840 ssd. 750 Antec High Current Power!
#6WyzeGyePosted 8/22/2013 12:39:53 PM
My Phenom II 965 be

should have gone intel :/ or at least an fx 8350.
---
http://i.imgur.com/2dhh8tn.gif | http://i.imgur.com/p5EXSiq.jpg
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/2/2/7/201227_v1.gif
#7jessevale(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2013 12:49:51 PM
Ha_D00D posted...
That is how I feel about my 7970. Don't get me wrong, its a great card, but if I knew that the 780 was about to drop, I would have waited.

Makes you feel like if you're gonna not get the best you might as well have gotten a powercolor for a pittance. Frick. I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't get the 4gb. I knew it wasn't really too worth it, but was prepared to go for it. I would've obviously spent the money on the better 780 sooner than think "hey might as well shell out extra for this."

Grrr computers.
---
Eagerly awaiting FFXIV's inevitable failure. Even a fantastic game cannot withstand initial bad press & the long-dead MMO format. Sad but true.
#8turbovirginPosted 8/22/2013 12:54:00 PM
turbovirgin posted...
Dropped a screwdriver on my CPU from about 10 inches. Left a tiny divet on top but its all good.

Used waaaay too much thermal paste and it squirted over the edge of the cpu, luckily only onto the top green part, not underneath into the socket. Afterwords I took the heatsink off to redo it. Cleaned all the paste off just in time to realize I had used it all -_-

---
Posted using GameFlux
#9turbovirginPosted 8/22/2013 12:58:22 PM
And tc I bought a 670 2 weeks before the 770 came out :( I don't really care that much though, it should still last me a while
---
Posted using GameFlux
#10wizardmonPosted 8/22/2013 2:24:36 PM
Purchased a Cosmos 1000 case, super heavy, looked crazy and I thought I would love it.

Side panel was warped and wouldn't stay on. I was super upset and sure as hell didn't want to pay shipping fee's to RMA it, so I sat on the side for a few days till it unwarped itself perfectly.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)