This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

TESOnline.. Buy2play, Sub fee AND cash shop... FF14 is going to win

#21Maiken100Posted 8/23/2013 5:29:28 AM
SnoicFactor posted...
Askeladd posted...
How will FF14 win? Doesn't that game require a subscription? With all the money Square had to dump into making the game over after its first launch failed there is no way that will be possible.

Doesn't matter. People will play it. FFXI still has a lot of active subscribers and came out before WoW. It survived, when all the other MMOs had to F2P. FF14 looks very polished, and is getting positive feedback from the community. This is just my experience, but everyone whom I played with on beta stated they would subscribe. FF lore is also amongst the greatest, so that helps a lot.

This. FFXI still a has a strong following and hasn't been ruined like F2P games. I personally don't like F2P and B2P models, neither are obliged to keep updating the game with major content or offer good quality server and customer support. The best mmos are always sub based,
#22KURRUPTORPosted 8/23/2013 5:46:38 AM
Winning vs TESonline perhaps. That's a pretty relative version of winning though. I think we all know that they are both going to actually lose... probably within the year.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#23SinisterSlayPosted 8/23/2013 5:50:15 AM
Wait, it has a subscription, a first time buy, and a cash shop?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#24GwynsSonSolaire(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 5:53:41 AM
SinisterSlay posted...

Yes
---
Proud Gamefaqs Shirt Owner
#25Maiken100Posted 8/23/2013 6:05:14 AM
SinisterSlay posted...

From the article the cash shop sounds purely cosmetic, like every mmo.
#26DaedalusExPosted 8/23/2013 6:37:27 AM
Tyranius2 posted...
I spit in any MMO that is buy2play plus monthly fee. The dumbest thing

Why? Development costs are separate from operational costs, which is reflected in the separate fees.
#27SinisterSlayPosted 8/23/2013 7:11:48 AM
Maiken100 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Well now there is truly no reason to have a subscription.

GG ESO.

Bethesda better be working on next ES game, to cover the huge deficit zenimax is going to take.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#28Maiken100Posted 8/23/2013 7:26:36 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Maiken100 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

GG ESO.

Bethesda better be working on next ES game, to cover the huge deficit zenimax is going to take.

So you want good server support, customer support, consistent content updates and a community that isn't full of trolls and 12 yr olds with a B2P model? Good luck.
Gw2 is an exception because it's not a traditional mmo, it has no endgame raiding and gear ladder. I personally don't want a game like GW2.
#29SinisterSlayPosted 8/23/2013 7:39:06 AM
Maiken100 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Maiken100 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

GG ESO.

So you want good server support, customer support, consistent content updates and a community that isn't full of trolls and 12 yr olds with a B2P model? Good luck.
Gw2 is an exception because it's not a traditional mmo, it has no endgame raiding and gear ladder. I personally don't want a game like GW2.

A sub should get you everything, no exceptions.
Having a cash shop in a subscription game crosses the line.
It was very iffy for me when it had a sub, but I figured, well at least no cash shop, that might make it worth while.
Well now I am still going to be blocked by a cash shop.
So, no advantages of sub, no advantages of cash shop(f2p), no advantages of b2p.
They basically took the worst of every model, and put them all together.
You have to buy to play, you then have to pay a subscription, and then you have to pay for cash shop items on top of the subscription.
---
#30Maiken100Posted 8/23/2013 7:45:30 AM
SinisterSlay posted...

A sub should get you everything, no exceptions.
Having a cash shop in a subscription game crosses the line.
It was very iffy for me when it had a sub, but I figured, well at least no cash shop, that might make it worth while.
Well now I am still going to be blocked by a cash shop.
So, no advantages of sub, no advantages of cash shop(f2p), no advantages of b2p.
They basically took the worst of every model, and put them all together.
You have to buy to play, you then have to pay a subscription, and then you have to pay for cash shop items on top of the subscription.

All mmos have cash shops, even P2P like EVE and WoW, but they are just cosmetic items and none give you an advantage in-game. It's sad that you would think that based on a vague article.