This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it safe to shut down my computer every day?

#11Orestes417Posted 8/23/2013 5:01:46 AM
The only way it'd hurt you is if you're doing improper shutdowns. Otherwise it's fine.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#12TropicMoon10Posted 8/23/2013 5:15:14 AM
I put mine to sleep and restart during any updates that require it.

Shutting down isn't a problem unless you're doing it several times a day or something.
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#13Dark_SpiretPosted 8/23/2013 5:26:12 AM
i tend to alternate. leave it off for the night (~6-10hours), leave it on all day and night, put it to sleep for the night(6-10hours), leave it on all day and night ect. been doing that for 5-6years with my current pc and iv had no issues.
---
Currently playing: Saints Row 4 - Spelunky - The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
#14SinisterSlayPosted 8/23/2013 5:48:43 AM
Modern systems (1994 and newer) are all set up to be shutdown as many time as you want.

You might see increased wear and tear if you did nothing but shutdowns and start ups over and over, endlessly.

Usually the only thing to fail will be your hard drive. But hard drives for a long time now, have been shutting themselves off when inactive anyways.

The old computer in my bedroom (1998) actually has a audible whine to it every time you move the mouse after 20 minutes as the hard drive spins back up (and struggles to do so).
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#15Ch3wyPosted 8/23/2013 6:13:19 AM
I don't know why people still think it's a problem at all when everyone uses laptops that they constantly turn on and off throughout the day.

Going to sleep and waking up isn't really different than shutting down and booting up in terms of wear and tear of the hardware.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#16KURRUPTORPosted 8/23/2013 6:13:23 AM
Unless you are shutting down your PC by just pulling the plug out of the wall it should be all good.

That being said just putting your computer to sleep seems a much better choice these days. Power consumption drops to nil, and it removes the boot up time.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#17_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/23/2013 10:37:02 AM
Obviously there is some wear on PC parts as you use them, and some types of use may wear different components in different ways (some benefit from just leaving it on, while others do not).

That said, under normal use, all hardware components should last you longer than the computer stays relevant. There is nothing to worry about.

In practice, it simply does not matter.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#18Kokuei05Posted 8/23/2013 11:11:03 AM
It's not safe. Pro Tip: don't turn off anything that uses electricity or it will explode.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAZnjFbOyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxOaq6_i1Y