This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help picking out a solid PC through Best Buy

#1ZerosPosted 8/23/2013 2:24:01 AM
I'm getting a computer through Best Buy soon and while I could easily just pick out the highest end thing they have, I would rather work out what's actually most cost effective for what I want.

Now, I'm looking for a higher end rig, one that can hopefully meet recommended specs on games, but at the same time, I don't just want to act like I have UNLIMITED money.

Basically, I'm asking if anyone has advice on what to look for, things to avoid that would be costly and not help much, etc.

Also someone at the store was suggesting laptops, saying they've dropped in value since tablets got big. Considering I don't have a monitor or speakers, that might be a price factor.
---
BIG O! IT'S SHOWTIME!!!
#2VIP86Posted 8/23/2013 3:41:45 AM
You aren't going to find any good prebuilts at bestbuy. The computer might have a locked 4770, maybe 16gb ddr3, 1 tb hdd, and then something like a 630.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienware+-+X51+Desktop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/9419102.p?id=1219015286768&skuId=9419102

This is the most expensive one they have "in store or online."
---
DESKTOP--i5-3570K| ASUS P8Z77-V| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 400R| INTEL 520 180GB| NOCTUA NH-D14| CORSAIR AX750
#3r0ge00Posted 8/23/2013 6:19:47 AM
Zeros posted...
things to avoid that would be costly and not help much, etc.

Avoiding Best Buy entirely would be your best decision.
#4sfcalimariPosted 8/23/2013 6:23:44 AM
Yeah don't go with best buy.

If you don't want to build your own, go look at ibuypower or ecollegepc or any of the other places where they'll build something for you. You will need to do some research to pick the parts but it's not that hard at all, just be persistent and ask questions here and keep doing research.

If you want to get a laptop, you could get a barebones gaming lappy with a decent processor and something like a GTX 660M for like $800, but keep in mind Windows would be an extra $100 or so. Check out xoticpc.com for laptops.
---
We cannot base our information on something mystical. It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.
#5IronSasquatchPosted 8/23/2013 6:25:46 AM
Honestly, I would avoid buying a pre-built PC. You're gonna end up spending a ton more money than if you built it yourself. I know it probably seems daunting if you haven't done it before, but it only takes a few hours to learn how to do it and you could follow a youtube video while you're doing the building. You'll get the most for your money that way and there are TONS of people on this board who are willing to help you out.

If you are really set on not building a PC, at least avoid buying a laptop. You'll always pay more for a "gaming" laptop and it will become obsolete faster than a desktop. Also, Alienware tends to be a little overpriced.
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#6Fade2black001Posted 8/23/2013 7:32:37 AM
sfcalimari posted...
Yeah don't go with best buy.

If you don't want to build your own, go look at ibuypower or ecollegepc or any of the other places where they'll build something for you. You will need to do some research to pick the parts but it's not that hard at all, just be persistent and ask questions here and keep doing research.

If you want to get a laptop, you could get a barebones gaming lappy with a decent processor and something like a GTX 660M for like $800, but keep in mind Windows would be an extra $100 or so. Check out xoticpc.com for laptops.

Ibutpower is not the way to go. They skimp on their parts. They consider a system with GT 610 in it a gaming rig...
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#7Ch3wyPosted 8/23/2013 7:35:31 AM
If you must go pre-built, go with ecollegepc. They have the best prices for higher end prebuilts(especially considering it's assemble to order), and they come with free 3 year warranties.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#8sfcalimariPosted 8/24/2013 2:26:32 AM
I've never had a single problem with my ibuypower rig. You can order better parts from them. I added up the price of the parts on mine and it was like $30 more than if I'd built it myself, and an identical ecollegepc build was like $300 more. Go with ecollegepc if you want to pay for more peace of mind I guess.
---
We cannot base our information on something mystical. It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.
#9TimePharaohPosted 8/24/2013 2:53:43 AM
Buying a prebuilt is a terrible idea in the first place, but even worse at a mass-chain retailer like BestBuy. For one, even if you had unlimited money, you would NOT find a "high end" system there, or even medium end.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#10_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/24/2013 3:02:32 AM
you might think hat best buy is a cheap option, but really it is a bad idea. They are not any cheaper than putting something together yourself, and almost all of the PC's they sell there have components that I would almost immediately would want to swap out, which is costly and defeats the purpose of getting something from there in the first place.

If you really do not want to put something together yourself, then at least look at a shop or website that allows you to pick and customize yourself. I am not from the US so I cannot really help you there. But I know that sites like ecollegepc exist.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H