This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question for sims veterans

#1TowerBooks3192Posted 8/23/2013 4:48:44 AM
I got the sims 2 and a couple of expansions save Bon Voyage, Pets and Seasons. I was wondering if it is better than sims 3 like is it challenging to get a promotion or money is hard to come by compared to the sims 3 where money is easy to get and makes the game boring?

Also I have never ever remembered my sims dying in Sims 3 and missed the sims days where you could die by fire or get electrocuted or something.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#2FeatherwindPosted 8/23/2013 4:53:20 AM(edited)
It is maybe slightly harder but there is alot of broken stuff in Sims 2 too.

It might be easier to die in The Sims 2 as well but again it's still not very lethal.
#3jessica73Posted 8/23/2013 4:58:19 AM
3>1>2 imo. I could never go back to 2 after enjoying an open world neighborhood and just one long load in the beginning of the game instead of every time I switch lots. and universal aging, not just on the lot you're playing.

you can die plenty in 3, from a ton of different ways, but I think the ol' electrocution by plugging in a lightbulb is gone since 1 (2 maybe, don't remember it there either) you get warnings to stop activity (ie continuing to tamper with things after being singed before the moodlet times out is a good way to die from electricity or fire, hunger gets a LONG timer unless you are a vampire, etc.) basically you have to be intentionally trying to get most deaths in my experience. but isn't that what the Sims has been about since the beginning :)
---
http://i.imgur.com/1XJz6.gif
^__^
#4TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 5:21:41 AM
jessica73 posted...
3>1>2 imo. I could never go back to 2 after enjoying an open world neighborhood and just one long load in the beginning of the game instead of every time I switch lots. and universal aging, not just on the lot you're playing.

you can die plenty in 3, from a ton of different ways, but I think the ol' electrocution by plugging in a lightbulb is gone since 1 (2 maybe, don't remember it there either) you get warnings to stop activity (ie continuing to tamper with things after being singed before the moodlet times out is a good way to die from electricity or fire, hunger gets a LONG timer unless you are a vampire, etc.) basically you have to be intentionally trying to get most deaths in my experience. but isn't that what the Sims has been about since the beginning :)

I know that the best part of 3 is the open world and the elimination of those annoying loading screens from lot to lot. My sister got all up to the latest expansion (I think it was island paradise or something). What I don't really like and what sort of made me want to try and find sims 1 or install 2 is the fact that money is so easy in the game like with celebrity level and tons of expensive gifts to even working as lets say a writer or a private investigator would net you tons of cash in royalties or even with the weekly pays of a profession (forgot the term).

Still haven't installed university and island paradise in my pc but looks pretty tempting when I saw my sister playing it on my other PC.
---
#5jessica73Posted 8/23/2013 5:54:22 AM
oh yeah, celebrity is awesome to supplement income, lol. as are wedding gifts (received one of the giant jet lot props after marriage once -@_@- was worth like 50k) at least you can turn celebrity of for individual households though.

there are all kinds of mods around Mod the Sims reduce income too, from less $ per hour to ones that make you pay way more tax. other ones like the progression mods from awesome or twaillan(sp?) can give you even more control. you could also try the many self imposed challenges out there :)

Sims 1 is certainly harder outside the tops of the careers but Sims didn't die of old age then, so they had forever to rack up the money
---
http://i.imgur.com/1XJz6.gif
^__^
#6TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 6:06:43 AM
jessica73 posted...
oh yeah, celebrity is awesome to supplement income, lol. as are wedding gifts (received one of the giant jet lot props after marriage once -@_@- was worth like 50k) at least you can turn celebrity of for individual households though.

there are all kinds of mods around Mod the Sims reduce income too, from less $ per hour to ones that make you pay way more tax. other ones like the progression mods from awesome or twaillan(sp?) can give you even more control. you could also try the many self imposed challenges out there :)

Sims 1 is certainly harder outside the tops of the careers but Sims didn't die of old age then, so they had forever to rack up the money

I have tried tons of self-imposed challenge like live only as an artist and on the money I get from painting or even just be an inventor or something. University really increased the money you could earn though if you get a degree compared to working without one. I was really hoping they sort of nerfed it but EA is just milking people with stuff packs and whatnot and now the sims 4 is coming (yay! more opportunity for them to milk us with stuff packs and removed features as expansions).

I want to avoid mods as much as possible though. I always remember stories from friends of mine saying that getting to last promotion of a job and getting tons of friends without cheats was really rewarding back then compared to now where money is so very easy to come by especially with celebrity gifts and now you got higher wages with degrees and tons of cash from your tenants in island paradise.
---
#7BlackmonPosted 8/23/2013 6:11:16 AM
I personally like Sims 2 better. Mainly because of one expansion that for some reason, they didn't include in 3. "Open for Business". This expansion changed the way I played and it was awesome running your own store and managing your staff. I wish they released it for Sims 3 also. But with Sims 4 being announced, I doubt it will happen.

I heard Island Paradise has you running a resort and hiring staff. Maybe that's the closest I'll get to having Open for Business on Sims 3.
---
Http://www.Blackmon.com/
#8Freelance_WolfPosted 8/23/2013 8:18:12 AM(edited)
For me, Sims 3 is way better than the last 2 games. I've been annoyed with lots of things from those games, but Sims 3 got rid of those annoyances (except for pathfinding, which I believe now will never go away). I've always hated how the first two games did the career system, where you had to befriend townies (and with some careers, over 10 of them) just to advance in their chosen job. It didn't make any sense, and I was very happy Sims 3 did away with that. Sure, it's easier to make money in Sims 3, but overall it's sooo much better than Sims and Sims 2 IMO.

Unless Sims 4 has some significant advantages over Sims 3, I won't be getting it. Sims 3 for me is the definitive Sims game, and if Sims 4 is Sims 3 with better graphics, then I won't need it. If Sims 4 has better pathfinding though, I'll get it.

Yes, there's plenty of ways Sims can die in Sims 3. They can die from:

Old Age
Fire
Drowning
Electrocution
Starvation
Cowplant
Mummy's Curse
Meteor
Magician Act (as magician)
Thirst (as vampire)
Jelly Bean
Haunting Curse
Transmutation
Blunt Force Trauma (from Murphy bed)
Ranting
Running out of air (from scuba diving)
Shark
Dehydration (as mermaid)
Freezing

Each Sim ghost has a different colour depending on how they died.

---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#9El_KazPosted 8/23/2013 7:34:06 AM(edited)
Freelance_Wolf posted...
Jelly Bean
Ranting

huh?
---
Wait... what?
#10Freelance_WolfPosted 8/23/2013 7:43:35 AM(edited)
El_Kaz posted...
Freelance_Wolf posted...
Jelly Bean
Ranting

huh?

There is a slight 1% chance that a Sim can die of eating a "Magic Jelly Bean" from the Magic Jelly Bean Bush

There's a chance Sims will get a warning from the Grim Reaper when they rant about death. They will get a moodlet that will last for 12 hours. If they rant about death within the time, the Sim will die.

If your Sim has a Death Flower in his/her inventory, the Grim Reaper will resurrect them.
If a Sim dies, another Sim can challenge the GR to a game of chess. If the Sim wins, the GR will resurrect the dead Sim.
Sims with the Loser or Unlucky traits will never die if they happen to die of something other than old age. The Grim Reaper will keep them around because their untimely demise was too amusing and predictable
Sims can be resurrected by making a wish to a Genie
Ambrosia will resurrect a Sim by eating it as a ghost
Sims can resurrect a dead Sim through a science experiment

---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."