This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any speakers that don't get the buzzing from cell phone interference?

#1IronSasquatchPosted 8/23/2013 6:30:20 AM
It gets really annoying to either deal with the interference or put my cell phone across the room while I'm playing games. Any recommendations for speakers that don't get this, or is it unavoidable?
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#2blakegallowayPosted 8/23/2013 7:09:45 AM
Most decent speakers are magnetically shielded. That's what you want to look for in the specs, but sometimes that info is not readily accessible.
#3IronSasquatch(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 7:10:18 AM
Awesome, thanks a lot. :)
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#4Fade2black001Posted 8/23/2013 7:14:32 AM
My cheap as all hell speakers on my monitor don't do this.... I should say inside my monitor...
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#5TivorPosted 8/23/2013 7:26:43 AM
It's not the magnetic shielding you're looking for, but rather electromagnetic shielding. It's probably the speaker connection wire that's not electromagnetically shielded, and it's acting like an antenna and picking up interference.

If you can try a new connection cable, see if that helps. Also, see if your speakers react that way to other cellphones too. In other words, see if it's your cellphone that's emitting unusually large amount of interference. By narrowing down the cause, you should be able to pinpoint whether you need a new cable, a new cellphone, or a new set of speakers. It would suck if you bought new speakers and the problem persisted.
---
Vin Scully, Herge, Ray K. Metzker, Arakawa Hiromu, Mori Kaoru, Steve Jobs, Miyazaki Hayao, Walt Disney, Depeche Mode, John Stockton. RESPECT.
#6blakegallowayPosted 8/23/2013 7:27:48 AM
Tivor posted...
It's not the magnetic shielding you're looking for, but rather electromagnetic shielding. It's probably the speaker connection wire that's not electromagnetically shielded, and it's acting like an antenna and picking up interference.

If you can try a new connection cable, see if that helps. Also, see if your speakers react that way to other cellphones too. In other words, see if it's your cellphone that's emitting unusually large amount of interference. By narrowing down the cause, you should be able to pinpoint whether you need a new cable, a new cellphone, or a new set of speakers. It would suck if you bought new speakers and the problem persisted.

Same diff. But yeah electromagnetic.
#7TivorPosted 8/23/2013 7:39:54 AM
blakegalloway posted...
Tivor posted...

Same diff. But yeah electromagnetic.

Not really the same thing, because when we say magnetic shielding in speakers, we're talking about keeping the speaker's magnets from affecting/harming other devices like CRT screens or hard drives. (not a big deal with small speakers, but actually a big deal with subwoofers and stuff) Very different from shielding the audio signals from being affected by radio interference, which is what we're talking about here.
---
Vin Scully, Herge, Ray K. Metzker, Arakawa Hiromu, Mori Kaoru, Steve Jobs, Miyazaki Hayao, Walt Disney, Depeche Mode, John Stockton. RESPECT.
#8de3ricPosted 8/23/2013 7:41:12 AM
Had the same issue using my Yamaha hs50m's, tried everything including different xlr cables and still had the hum/buzz, turns out I needed a ground loop isolator...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAQTRI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
---
2500k@4.6ghz/212+/P8Z68-V/8gb/Evga 560ti 448/256 SSD/1TB Wd Black/Seasonic 620w/Corsair C70
#9IronSasquatch(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 7:42:56 AM
As far as other cell phones, the only other one I've had near it is my girlfriend's, but we both have Androids, so that doesn't necessarily rule out other phones causing less interference. Honestly though, I was on a budget when I built my rig, so I went with cheap speakers. I'm assuming some higher quality speakers will have less of a problem with this, right? And along that vein, are there any brands you guys would recommend/avoid?
---
#10Flaktrooper123Posted 8/23/2013 7:43:53 AM
Also note that even in high end speakers, they usually only shield the satellite units, not the subwoofer box. The manual usually already warn you not to put your CPU or other electronic devices next to it.