This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would cause a net problem like this?

#1o0stoneduk0oPosted 8/23/2013 6:57:18 AM
Every now and then my internet randomly slows to a crawl, its pretty much flawless until this happens maybe once every couple of months. It doesn't go down, it just drops to a terribly low speed. It seems to jump back to a high speed for a few seconds then drop back down, it usually resolves itself after a day or two. I can't think of anything that I am doing to cause this. It just seems to be unable to properly connect (says resolving host in the bottom of chrome) and like I said I can do speed test and one minute it will be at 60mbps and then it will drop down to like 0.5 mbps.
---
I don't smoke dope, I don't drink bourbon, all I want to do is shake my turban.
#2MonkeymagePosted 8/23/2013 7:00:00 AM
Sounds like your internet's clogged. I suggest getting a professional to snake your cable/DSL connection all the way out to the street.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#3o0stoneduk0o(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 7:05:13 AM
But if that was the case wouldn't it be more of a permanent problem rather than just randomly going like this?
---
I don't smoke dope, I don't drink bourbon, all I want to do is shake my turban.
#4MonkeymagePosted 8/23/2013 7:07:57 AM
Not necessarily, sometimes the bitstream is thicker, with more impurities. I'm assuming that the data backflow will periodically wash away the clog which is why you see an increase in speed. If you get the connection snaked, it should be clear for years to come.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#5THEB0SS666Posted 8/23/2013 7:14:08 AM
Monkeymage posted...
Sounds like your internet's clogged. I suggest getting a professional to snake your cable/DSL connection all the way out to the street.

Hi what does snaking mean? My dsl is really slow then gets decent speeds then back down again I was wondering how I could fix it.
---
dell xps 7100 gtx 660sc 8gb ram amd phenom x6 1045t 3.2ghz 1.5tbhdd
Moderators are filthy disgusting creatures.
#6MonkeymagePosted 8/23/2013 7:23:13 AM
THEB0SS666 posted...
Monkeymage posted...

Hi what does snaking mean? My dsl is really slow then gets decent speeds then back down again I was wondering how I could fix it.

Professionals use a data snake, which is a reactive monofilament that is extended into a coax cable. It uses a medium-grade spiral bitstream to dislodge the areas of data that have become clogged. Since the clogged data are basically free packets that became lost during transmission, they will just be filtered out by your modem/router as harmless signal noise.
---
#7Jprime666Posted 8/23/2013 7:27:02 AM(edited)
THEB0SS666 posted...
Monkeymage posted...

A snake is use to push out the clog or at least break it up

EDIT: monkey went into more details. Consider mine the laymans answer
---
How many emotions is people?
#8El MagnificoPosted 8/23/2013 7:27:09 AM
THEB0SS666 posted...
Monkeymage posted...

It was a joke. He's talking about fixing the internet as if it was plumbing. The joke is probably in reference to the description of the internet by a US senator as being a "series of tubes."

#9BlackmonPosted 8/23/2013 7:33:28 AM
I knew at first it was a joke, but he made it so detailed that I started to have doubts >.>.
---
Http://www.Blackmon.com/
#10ShinyFalconPosted 8/23/2013 7:48:54 AM
My telephone lines are underground, and a couple of months ago, fire ants decided to have its nest on top of the equipment where the lines break off to different houses. It pretty much screwed up phone quality and internet (really unstable SNR, crackling, hum) until the technician sprayed the equipment internals with some insect spray. I was worried that the spray would short out the bare phone cables but so far it hasn't been a problem.