This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

BF4 graphics lacking on PS4

#21YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/23/2013 4:13:51 PM
fuzzyman posted...
nobody has anything to say?

I mean, I've got results right there. I'm sure Crysis is more CPU bound than BF4 16 player, but 64 player? They must be on the same page

Test Crysis 3. As was said, Crysis 1 only uses 2 cores. If you want to compare your 8 core comp to an 8 core console, use a game capable of working off of 8 cores.

This would work best if we had someone on the board with Crysis 3, and 8300 and a Titan or two, just to make sure we're not leaning on the GPU.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#22Lemur_HPosted 8/23/2013 4:19:44 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#23fuzzymanPosted 8/23/2013 4:27:10 PM
Shebeskii posted...
fuzzyman posted...

I mean, I've got results right there. I'm sure Crysis is more CPU bound than BF4 16 player, but 64 player? They must be on the same page

Crysis 1 doesn't efficiently use modern CPUs. It's not a good benchmark anymore. It doesn't accurately assess a system. I could have a heavily OC'd E8500 Core 2 Duo with a Titan and I'd post better numbers than a 3770K system with a GTX 770.

That relationship wouldn't hold for 95% of modern titles.

3770k would do better than the E8500...

But uh, Crysis is a memory hog too. It's not exactly shader intensive anymore, it's just a lot of polygons and a lot of megabytes.

It isn't well threaded but it is quad-threaded... but clearly the engine LOVES clockspeed when the GPU floor is available

What can you say, I saw 20+ FPS increase, from 2.6 through 4.6

Now if you made that engine optimized for 8 threads, not a lot would change, except minimum framerates

Clockspeed might influence maximum framerates, but the GPUs were waiting on the CPU to move average frames quicker

Hence why I think the next gen consoles are just really better suited for 30 FPS high resolution environment.

The GPU is powerful enough to handle that, but the combination is not powerful enough to create a "GPU floor" in which CPU clockspeed would pick up the latent frames, like we see above.

You simply need a much larger, ventilated case. TDP isn't even the problem, if you look at Haswell, heat is the complete reason why neither Sony or Microsoft would team with Intel this round. AMD runs their CPU 30-40C cooler TJMAX
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg
#24ein311Posted 8/23/2013 5:54:41 PM
The only thing I got from that IGN video is the person playing the game is really, really, REALLY bad at this game.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#25godplaysSNESPosted 8/24/2013 1:45:33 AM
fuzzyman posted...
Shebeskii posted...
fuzzyman posted...

Crysis 1 doesn't efficiently use modern CPUs. It's not a good benchmark anymore. It doesn't accurately assess a system. I could have a heavily OC'd E8500 Core 2 Duo with a Titan and I'd post better numbers than a 3770K system with a GTX 770.

It isn't well threaded but it is quad-threaded... but clearly the engine LOVES clockspeed when the GPU floor is available

Now if you made that engine optimized for 8 threads, not a lot would change, except minimum framerates

Clockspeed might influence maximum framerates, but the GPUs were waiting on the CPU to move average frames quicker

It's not even threaded for quads. It stops seeing gains after 2 cores.

Lots of things would change if the game was better threaded. Just compare a dual core to a quad core in any game that uses more than two cores.

Every game likes clock speed when the GPU floor is available. But for games that are well threaded, a dual core still won't have anything to say against a quad
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#26maybecallsPosted 8/24/2013 1:57:42 AM
Urrgghh, it's disgusting.
#27DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/24/2013 5:30:33 AM
fuzzyman posted...
Shebeskii posted...
fuzzyman posted...

3770k would do better than the E8500...

But uh, Crysis is a memory hog too. It's not exactly shader intensive anymore, it's just a lot of polygons and a lot of megabytes.

Hence why I think the next gen consoles are just really better suited for 30 FPS high resolution environment.

The GPU is powerful enough to handle that, but the combination is not powerful enough to create a "GPU floor" in which CPU clockspeed would pick up the latent frames, like we see above.

You simply need a much larger, ventilated case. TDP isn't even the problem, if you look at Haswell, heat is the complete reason why neither Sony or Microsoft would team with Intel this round. AMD runs their CPU 30-40C cooler TJMAX

Not even effectively dual-threaded, actually. IIRC, it's just physics that's threaded.
Fun fact: your framerate will drop while moving, because all of the (highly inefficient) game logic is running alongside the rendering logic, which is what's eating your frames.
'Nother fun fact: Crysis' framerate problems are almost entirely down to handling a lot of on-screen objects to shovel off to the GPU. Something that is infinitely more efficiently handled on console hardware.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64