This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

sold a laptop on ebay..

#1chris121691Posted 8/23/2013 9:39:03 AM
I sold a laptop on ebay, almost exactly a month ago.
The buyer just contacted me all of a sudden, and tells me the hdd is messed up, and he also sent me pictures of the laptop with cracks and scratches all over it. He demands a refund.
Am I in need to worry? I mean, when I sold it to him, it was literally in perfect condition..
#2Trance_FanPosted 8/23/2013 9:41:20 AM
nope you should be safe..if it got sent to him then the job is done on ebay side

even if the hdd did break that's the risk of buying used
---
i think it's nice
#3LaMichael_JamesPosted 8/23/2013 9:42:45 AM
do you have documentation of the laptop and its condition prior to sale, verification when the laptop was sold and delivered?

It's very possible you can get screwed by ebay's and paypal's buyer preferential treatment
---
GOAT
#4Mudkip57Posted 8/23/2013 9:42:55 AM
If it's been a month, that's a pretty long time to suddenly notice scratches and cracks on a laptop
#5MaDHatPosted 8/23/2013 9:49:50 AM(edited)
Stuff like this is why I never sell on websites. Anyway, you'll be fine. Explain the situation to him, nicely, and tell him that it is not in the same condition it was sold as, and it has been far too long to offer a refund. You can even reference most electronics stores refund policy of 14 days on computers if you like. SAVE all of these emails. That was if someone questions you, you have all of these emails to reference. Don't give into his refund demand, it is ludicrous.

Also, make sure you keep the original messages that you sent to him as it proves the dates that the item was sold.
#6chris121691(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 9:48:19 AM
LaMichael_James posted...
do you have documentation of the laptop and its condition prior to sale, verification when the laptop was sold and delivered?

It's very possible you can get screwed by ebay's and paypal's buyer preferential treatment

I have the tracking info, which says it was delivered on the 25th of july.
#7SkittyOnWailordPosted 8/23/2013 9:54:15 AM(edited)
Mudkip57 posted...
If it's been a month, that's a pretty long time to suddenly notice scratches and cracks on a laptop

While I generally would agree with that, there are reasons that could justify that. Like the buyer being out of town for 3 weeks and only just getting it.

TC: I wouldn't worry about the HDD part. But the buyer saying its scratched could be a problem if you don't have any proof of it not being scratched before you sent it. Isn't ebay just loads of fun?

EDIT: Beaten by a few posts while I was typing this out and playing a game at the same time.
---
I'm here! I'm furry! I'll try not to shed! =^_^=
/)*(\
#8sonicteam2k1Posted 8/23/2013 9:53:55 AM
MaDHat posted...
Stuff like this is why I never sell on websites. Anyway, you'll be fine. Explain the situation to him, nicely, and tell him that it is not in the same condition it was sold as, and it has been far too long to offer a refund. You can even reference most electronics stores refund policy of 14 days on computers if you like. SAVE all of these emails. That was if someone questions you, you have all of these emails to reference. Don't give into his refund demand, it is ludicrous.

Also, make sure you keep the original messages that you sent to him as it proves the dates that the item was sold.

---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#9GoIrish80Posted 8/23/2013 9:54:42 AM
This is why I've pretty much just stopped selling things on Ebay, especially anything even remotely expensive.

It's disgusting how much that site favors the buyer. They can pretty much do/say whatever the hell they want and they'll get their way.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#10MaDHatPosted 8/23/2013 9:57:10 AM
SkittyOnWailord posted...
Mudkip57 posted...

While I generally would agree with that, there are reasons that could justify that. Like the buyer being out of town for 3 weeks and only just getting it.

TC: I wouldn't worry about the HDD part. But the buyer saying its scratched could be a problem if you don't have any proof of it not being scratched before you sent it. Isn't ebay just loads of fun?

EDIT: Beaten by a pile of posts while I was typing this out and playing a game at the same time.

You have to hold your ground in these situations. As much as the seller needs to prove it wasn't scratched, the buyer will need to prove it was scratched when it arrived. If the seller was "out of town", he will need to prove that as well with documentation. (This is all if it escalates legally, mind you)

As of right now, refuse the refund based on original selling condition, and time since the package was signed for.