This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Want to be at least on par with next-gen console..

#31snkboiPosted 8/23/2013 11:26:45 AM
r0ge00 posted...
snkboi posted...
overclocking the cpu is pretty much free if you got the proper cooler

Except a proper cooler isn't free. You used to be so much better The Q.

so much phail in your response..read my msg again
---
i think it's nice
#32fuzzymanPosted 8/23/2013 11:27:41 AM
you gotta get this straight

back in 2007 there was the Q6600 and the E8400

back then, dual core was just beginning and people were upset over how quickly dual core was abandoned, so less people bought the new quad core and it took a long while for quad core to become prevalent, while dual core still sold well. And only because the consumers did the industry did too. What it did though was strangle Intel from releasing more cores, thus, the PC market is kind of where its at because of only that reason, the acceleration in tech can be too much for some to handle! which is hilarious really

Anyway, the dual core had one thing going for it: super high clock speeds

And I'm not saying that's useless, but it can be, especially when you're using a 60Hz monitor with 180 FPS. Instead you could have been using a very well threaded processor with 16 or more threads at that 60Hz with much more spectacular visuals. But whatever, that is the industry.

Frankly, I think the threading situation will get better with the new consoles. And if you want more FPS just build a PC. But PC should be even easier to thread for now that everybody is running X86 instead of PowerPC vs X86
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg
#33r0ge00Posted 8/23/2013 11:34:50 AM
snkboi posted...

Practically free would mean almost free. A $30-$100 cooler isn't anywhere near free.
#34redrum187Posted 8/23/2013 12:08:57 PM
snkboi posted...
ps4 and xbone use a true 8 core cpu @ 1.8ghz

this is powerful and next gen whether you want to believe it or not

yeah but how many cores will developers be able to actually use and how many cores will be reserved for background things like game streaming,dashboard/xmb,etc.
---
i still haven't found what i'm looking for...
#35MasterDonGeroPosted 8/23/2013 12:09:19 PM
r0ge00 posted...
snkboi posted...

Practically free would mean almost free. A $30-$100 cooler isn't anywhere near free.

He said it was practically free if you have a good cooler. Key word there being "if."
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#36ThescyyPosted 8/23/2013 12:14:42 PM
fatali posted...
nitedawg posted...
Where should I improve first? I have :

i5-2500K
8gb of ram
GTX 560 Ti
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (socket 1155)

Where I sould start? Maybe I should wait for the first slew of next-gen games to passed to start upgrading? If you need more informations, just ask. Any input is welcomed.

Disregard what that guy has been telling you, you do not need to overclock the CPU, it would be pointless as games are not gonna be bottleneck by your CPU, the only thing you need is a new GPU, the processors in the new consoles are very slow compared to an i5, they are variations of APU processors for laptops.

That's funny, wait you aren't being serious are you?
---
| i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | SeaSonic M12II 850 | Fractal design R4 |
#37PhilOnDezPosted 8/23/2013 12:14:46 PM
There's a lot of troll going on in here that you seemed to be buying into TC. You don't need 16 gigs of ram or a 770 to be on par with the next gen consoles. Once you get your parts OCd a bit you'll be at least even, though your CPU should be pretty well ahead. If you don't have 8 gigs of ram that might be something to consider, especially if you leave things running in the background while you game, but I doubt it will be mandatory for quite some time, especially with the PS4 reserving 3.5 gigs of ram for the OS.

If you were to upgrade anything I would pick up a 2+gb graphics card roughly comparable to the one you have (Another X60/X60ti or X870/X950) but I'd wait until a few months after the consoles launch to see what's available. That's just me though, if you wanted, there's already parts on the market that blow away what will be in the consoles and the prices aren't too exorbitant honestly, especially that $200 7950.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#38turbovirginPosted 8/23/2013 12:18:03 PM
^ I second what Phil said
---
Posted using GameFlux