This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats the difference between these two performance mods?

#1Panda_KunPosted 8/23/2013 10:06:05 AM
Hialgoboost and Skyboost for Skyrim? Which one works best?
---
TGS 2013 Wishlist: Grandia IV, Dark Cloud III, Persona 5, Star Ocean V, FF XV.
- http://steamcommunity.com/id/fueledbyrice/
#2PyrotechnixxxPosted 8/23/2013 10:29:11 AM
Never heard of Skyboost before, so I really don't know. Try both?
---
Fear is a leash.
#3Lemur_HPosted 8/23/2013 10:35:48 AM
O_o What are those?
#4Panda_Kun(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 10:59:27 AM
Yeah..I might have to. Was just wondering if anyone knew :/
---
#5SinisterSlayPosted 8/23/2013 11:06:54 AM
I use skyboost.
Not sure if it made a difference though, my game does play fairly smooth.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6KingDFizzlePosted 8/23/2013 11:07:51 AM
Skyboost is outdated and doesn't work anymore. Apparently people still use the other one.
#7Panzer_SquidPosted 8/23/2013 11:09:41 AM
Googled a bit. It looks like Skyboost does the same thing as an older mod, that is optimizing the executable for a newer instruction set. But Bethesda that already did that themselves a long time ago, so it's redundant; previously Skyrim was compiled for x87. I don't think you need skyboost.

I don't really understand how hialgoboost works but the way it's described on nexus makes it sound like it cuts the renderer's internal buffer resolution to 1/3 of the original resolution or something. I'm not sure if it actually affects the image quality but it doesn't seem like it would hurt to try it.
---
The Panzer Squid is the ultimate hunter, blending into any environment until it has the opportunity to shove a rocket up urbum
#8SinisterSlayPosted 8/23/2013 11:09:44 AM
KingDFizzle posted...
Skyboost is outdated and doesn't work anymore. Apparently people still use the other one.

Good to know, I'll get rid of it :)
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9Panda_Kun(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 11:14:59 AM
Got it. Thanks for the replies guys.
---
#10Lemur_HPosted 8/23/2013 11:19:42 AM
Panzer_Squid posted...
Googled a bit. It looks like Skyboost does the same thing as an older mod, that is optimizing the executable for a newer instruction set. But Bethesda that already did that themselves a long time ago, so it's redundant; previously Skyrim was compiled for x87. I don't think you need skyboost.

I don't really understand how hialgoboost works but the way it's described on nexus makes it sound like it cuts the renderer's internal buffer resolution to 1/3 of the original resolution or something. I'm not sure if it actually affects the image quality but it doesn't seem like it would hurt to try it.

I could be wrong, but yea, that sounds like it is going to hurt image quality. You can get a similar boost by lowering your resolution. :/