This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the risks/options for installing Android on a Kindle Fire?

#1MwulfPosted 8/23/2013 1:17:09 PM
I've installed OSes on PCs and CFW on PSPs without any issues, but I like to know what the risks of such operations are. I'm well aware that installing Android on a Kindle Fire will void the warranty. But:

1.) What is the risk of a properly-installed Android damaging or not functioning properly on a Kindle Fire HD?

2.) How big of a risk is the installation itself--is it likely to install incorrectly, or fail to install?

3.) If the Android installation does fails and the Fire HD is "bricked," do I have any options? Can I wipe the system and re-install the firmware from scratch? Can I revert to Amazon's version of Android? Or is my only option to send it back to Amazon and pay them a repair fee (because it would be out of warranty)?

4.) Would changing the OS have any effect on the longevity of the system? (I.E. if I install Android, would it shorten the system's lifespan? Make the system more likely to encounter major or minor system errors?). I know this is very unlikely, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#2TimePharaohPosted 8/23/2013 1:21:14 PM
Mwulf posted...

3.) If the Android installation does fails and the Fire HD is "bricked," do I have any options? Can I wipe the system and re-install the firmware from scratch? Can I revert to Amazon's version of Android? Or is my only option to send it back to Amazon and pay them a repair fee (because it would be out of warranty)?

lolwut

And lol if you think OS tampering would ever be valid under a warranty...
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#3Mwulf(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 1:24:08 PM
Ah, yet another example demonstrating that people who type things like "lolwut" have terrible, terrible reading comprehension.
---
-Char Aznable
#4oloroPosted 8/23/2013 1:34:51 PM
I dont know specifically for the kindle fire, but i did my fair share of rooting android devices and the xda forums are the go to place for that. I usually read dozens of topics and research for hours before i start rooting. they should have all the answers and guides you need.

kindle fire forums:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1306

p.s. also dont know if you have the fire or fire hd, but there should be a separate xda forum for that too
#5Mwulf(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 1:40:01 PM(edited)
Fire HD.

Thanks for the link. EDIT: it seems there's an automated rootkit utility that should make the process super-simple.
---
-Char Aznable
#6GreenMage7Posted 8/23/2013 1:41:01 PM(edited)
Okay, so many things off about what you said.

#1) The Kindle Fire already runs on Android.

#2) There are always risks with rooting any device because you have the ability to mess with things you really aren't supposed to mess with and it voids your warranty. However, it's pretty easy to figure out what not to mess with.

#3) You don't need to put on a different version of Android either. All you need to do is root it and then put the Google Play store on it. Then you can change the launcher and do whatever else you want to it.

If you're interested in getting Google Play on your Kindle, go here: http://androidcowboy.com/

Edit: More specifically, here is where the Play Store things are: http://androidcowboy.com/android-apk-files-download/
#7Mwulf(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 1:52:44 PM
@GreenMage: Did I ever imply I thought Kindle ran off of a non-Android OS? Sorry if it seemed that way. And of course there are risks--I was asking how big the risk is. I.E. do these automatic rootkit tools fail often, or are messed-up roots the result of user error?

So, anyway, thanks for the link. If I use their tool to root a Fire HD, are there any app compatibility concerns I should worry about (IIRC current version of Android is like 4.2 or something, and the Kindle OS is based on 3.X).
---
-Char Aznable
#8GreenMage7Posted 8/23/2013 2:21:28 PM
Mwulf posted...
@GreenMage: Did I ever imply I thought Kindle ran off of a non-Android OS? Sorry if it seemed that way. And of course there are risks--I was asking how big the risk is. I.E. do these automatic rootkit tools fail often, or are messed-up roots the result of user error?

So, anyway, thanks for the link. If I use their tool to root a Fire HD, are there any app compatibility concerns I should worry about (IIRC current version of Android is like 4.2 or something, and the Kindle OS is based on 3.X).

Sorry, you said you wanted to install Android and that seemed to be implying that it did not already have Android. You should not have app compatibility concerns because is runs on an upgraded version of ICS (Android 4.0.X) and not 3.X. I used one of the tools and had no problems. Mainly you just have to follow the instructions. Getting Google Play on there is pretty easy as well. It is possible for it to fail, but extremely unlikely. Most messed-up roots are user error.
#9Kingmichael1337Posted 8/23/2013 2:26:14 PM
you could die
---
I'M GAY.