This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend a new Proccesor.

#1SholanPosted 8/23/2013 4:10:55 PM
Im looking to upgrade my I5 2500 to pair with my GTX 670.. I feel as if it's bottlenecking the card. Ive been out of the loop with processors. Any recommendations?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it put this as your signature.
#2TheFeshPincePosted 8/23/2013 4:11:59 PM
You should double-check that the CPU is the bottleneck. It's not based on feelings.
---
http://i.imgur.com/J0lvB6S.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://youtu.be/YXkx-PSwbG4
#3wizardmonPosted 8/23/2013 4:13:44 PM
Give it some sunlight, it's getting a little SAD under that heatsink.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#4ShebeskiiPosted 8/23/2013 4:30:13 PM(edited)
The 2500 is more than enough. A 2500K OC'd can handle a Titan. You're imagining things.

If you don't have the 2500K and can't OC, then yeah, upgrading your processor would show some decent gains, but I don't think it'd be worth it. The 670 is good, but it's not that good.

If you're stuck with the 2500, just wait it out. Post your 3DMark score.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223850

"Download Demo".

Post score.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#5Sholan(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 5:41:24 AM
So one of the few reasons I was considering getting a new proccesor is because I suddenly can't get a decent framerate on a few games like Saints Row 4 and Tomb Raider even on medium settings.

I do have a solid build I think, EVGA 670 FTW, 16GB ram, and the i5 itself with a 1600x900 monitor. But im dipping into the 15-20 fps within a few games, I'm even doing a scan of malware/viruses to troubleshoot whatever is wrong.

But then, I discovered the temps on the cpu is 80-92c while just scanning for viruses.. that's pretty high yes? I'll go ahead and reseat the cpu, clean it and etc, and let you folks know what's up. But yeah, when all else fails, I'll try getting a new proccesor to get the results I want whihc is why I need the recommendations on what's out there processor-wise
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it put this as your signature.
#6overkillwfo1978Posted 8/25/2013 5:53:01 AM
Sholan posted...
So one of the few reasons I was considering getting a new proccesor is because I suddenly can't get a decent framerate on a few games like Saints Row 4 and Tomb Raider even on medium settings.

I do have a solid build I think, EVGA 670 FTW, 16GB ram, and the i5 itself with a 1600x900 monitor. But im dipping into the 15-20 fps within a few games, I'm even doing a scan of malware/viruses to troubleshoot whatever is wrong.

But then, I discovered the temps on the cpu is 80-92c while just scanning for viruses.. that's pretty high yes? I'll go ahead and reseat the cpu, clean it and etc, and let you folks know what's up. But yeah, when all else fails, I'll try getting a new proccesor to get the results I want whihc is why I need the recommendations on what's out there processor-wise

with a 2500/670FTW you should be maxing almost everything at a solid 60fps with no problems @ that resolution... and yes, if your temps are truly 80-92c, that is too high for operating temp. When is the last time you cleaned inside your case?
---
"Even if you go by the cheapest price the game has ever been anywhere, psn+ would still be cheaper by at least 3 fold". DemonDog on psn+ vs. Steam
#7chris121691Posted 8/25/2013 6:13:12 AM
overkillwfo1978 posted...
Sholan posted...

with a 2500/670FTW you should be maxing almost everything at a solid 60fps with no problems @ that resolution... and yes, if your temps are truly 80-92c, that is too high for operating temp. When is the last time you cleaned inside your case?

Yeah with that setup, you should not be going to 15 fps in games..
#8Sholan(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 6:38:10 AM
Alright, Success! I am now at a stable 60 fps in most games in comparison to 15-20fps dips and cpu temps are around high 40s-50c idle.

So what happpened was that the cpu fan/heatsink was knocked a bit loose thus not properly seating the heatsink causing the cpu temp to rise and cause instability.

I should've checked 2-3 days earlier though, hopefully there isn't any permanent damage. But thanks anyways folks, always good to have a gamefaqs community to bounce ideas around in cases like these.
---
#9maybecallsPosted 8/25/2013 6:42:13 AM
Good, 'cos I have a non-K 2500, too.