This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Blizzard discussing making WoW Free to Play (Polygon Article)

#11Maiken100Posted 8/23/2013 6:50:08 PM
Yeah F2P would destroy well established mmos like WoW and EVE. I don't see it happening.
#12Hi CPosted 8/23/2013 7:15:24 PM
WoW already offers practically ALL the typical f2p cash shop crap and services through their Bnet store. Going f2p honestly does nothing for them unless they paywall all the raid gear or offer it on the shop which would be a whole other can of worms.

And if you think the community is bad now run for the hills when f2p hits a Blizzard game.
---
You'll be my John G.
#13SinisterSlayPosted 8/23/2013 7:55:27 PM(edited)
Since it's an old MMO with tab targeting and hot bar skills and kill x of y and collect z missions.
I don't think I would even bother trying it out if it went free to play.

Also, have they improved the graphics since release? Or should I break out my old Windows 98 and my nVidia 6600 and see if I can max the game with it?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#14Lemur_HPosted 8/23/2013 7:58:51 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Also, have they improved the graphics since release? Or should I break out my old Windows 98 and my nVidia 6600 and see if I can max the game with it?

Yes, they have, actually. I remember the realtime shadows update that destroyed my Pentium 4 system... >_>
#15SinisterSlayPosted 8/23/2013 8:00:31 PM
Lemur_H posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Yes, they have, actually. I remember the realtime shadows update that destroyed my Pentium 4 system... >_>

You mean my p4 2.6ghz won't max it?

Sounds like an optimization issue :-)
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#16Lemur_HPosted 8/23/2013 8:01:20 PM
You're funny.
#17SinisterSlayPosted 8/23/2013 8:07:14 PM
Lemur_H posted...
You're funny.

You're funny.
---
#18GhennkinsPosted 8/23/2013 8:20:14 PM
They still have more than plenty subscribers so I doubt WoW will go f2p any time soon. Maybe when WoW 2.0 comes out and they want to shuffle old players over. As long as they're making money, then there is no reason to mess with it. I know if I were Blizz I'd soak it for all it's worth for as long as possible... then just merge servers and auction off the old ones and run the game as cheaply as possible on my end.

Don't they still have over 6 mil global subs yet? I'm kinda curious just how much the most successful mmo to date has really made. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still going 10 years from now. Might play it then for the nostalgia.