This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommendations for lightweight laptop for college?

#1dayne195Posted 8/23/2013 6:58:15 PM
Alrighty, so I have a gaming PC already, and have just entered college. I also have a roughly 6.5 lb 17.3 in. laptop. It is a major pain to bring it to and from the library or any other place of study (I haven't had to bring to any classes yet). So are there any recommendations for a light weight, preferably low budget laptop? It doesn't need to play games (obviously).

Preferences:
Back-lit keyboard
SSD for OS
Mac OS- I know I know windows 999x better, but I'd just like to get to know the OS. Feel free to still post windows laptops though
1080p res or more

Alright so after I typed those preferences the whole low budget thing might be out the window. Anyway, thanks in advance!
---
i5-4670k @ 4.3ghz | Hyper 212 EVO | GA-Z87X-UD3H | Gigabyte GTX 770 | 8gb Corsair Vengeance | HAF XM | 250gb Samsung 840 Series SSD | Rosewill Capstone 750M
#2RetrowirePosted 8/23/2013 7:06:29 PM
Here's what I did.

I majored in filmmaking in college. The go to OS for this career is typically MAC OSX because of the Final Cut Pro software and all that. But anyways, I say, you cannot go wrong with a refurbished Macbook Pro. I got mine refurbished 3 years ago, it still works today. I never got a virus. I never HAD to reformat it, I just did once to clean it up.

Use Boot camp to run Windows on the Macbook Pro whenever you want to do any portable gaming, and you're fine! This is my experience. The Macbook Pro is the sleekest, lightest, least cumbersome most durable college laptop you can get. And don't be afraid to get the refurbished because Apple gives it a new serial number and renews the warranty, they treat it as if it's brand new anyways, it's just a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Very versatile laptop, and it just WORKS. Boot camp is a savior for those times you just want the best of both worlds.
---
Not changing this sig until Flipnote3D is released in NA. Started August/12/13
#3PathlessBulletPosted 8/23/2013 7:07:21 PM
iPad

Can't think of any possible College scenario where you would benefit from a laptop.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#4RetrowirePosted 8/23/2013 7:09:09 PM
Also, let me introduce you to this excellent retailer as well.

http://www.powermax.com/keeping_you_gruntled/

They specialize in selling Mac products, only it's tax free because of the state that they're based in. :)
---
Not changing this sig until Flipnote3D is released in NA. Started August/12/13
#5dayne195(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 7:21:12 PM
Thank you Retrowire!
---
i5-4670k @ 4.3ghz | Hyper 212 EVO | GA-Z87X-UD3H | Gigabyte GTX 770 | 8gb Corsair Vengeance | HAF XM | 250gb Samsung 840 Series SSD | Rosewill Capstone 750M