This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Easiest way to transfer as much as possible between laptops?

#1Solis_InvictusPosted 8/23/2013 9:16:19 PM
So... I've got a new laptop (thanks for those who gave me tips on that!). I also have an old laptop. I'd like to move as much from old to new as possible. I'd like to get started using this new arrival pretty soon, but my time lately is severely limited.

I'm looking to move over as much stuff as possible - things like programs and big file folders and stuff are easy and obvious, but is there some sort of "packing assistant" program that'll automatically grab small stuff like bookmarks and cookies?
#2PhilOnDezPosted 8/23/2013 9:25:32 PM
Do you use chrome? If so, just sign in after installing chrome on your new computer. It will automatically sync your favorites, history, and sign in info if you had any saved. You could also just install chrome now, import Bookmarks etc, then install it on your new laptop.

After that for files, probably just a 32gb flash drive would be the easiest, they're pretty cheap cheap now. Another alternative would be to buy an HDD enclosure (I bought a couple for $7 each on amazon), stick your old HDD in it, copy what you want, then just put it back in the old one when you're done.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3k debonairPosted 8/23/2013 9:33:13 PM
plug an ethernet cable into both and set the unidentified network to private. share the root directory of the computer you want the files from. drag files over.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#4Solis_Invictus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 9:34:00 PM
Chrome does WHAT now? Man, that's awesome. That should solve 75% of my issue right there. Thank you very much!