This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to type in Japanese/Chinese or German characters w/ a NA Android?

#11CammyApplePosted 8/24/2013 7:08:11 AM
There are also a few that will recognize handwriting should you prefer to write the kana/kanji instead of typing them.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#12knightimexPosted 8/24/2013 7:20:39 AM
Knight2520 posted...
There are specific language keyboards available. I have one for Japanese (from Google) and it works great. I'm not familiar with all of the special characters in German, but you can get the vowels with diacritical marks in just the default keyboard, as Zukkus said.

There is about 4000 konji characters.

Have fun with that.

As usual you have no idea what you're talking about, young troll.

I have a Japaneses dictionary that says otherwise.

doesn't show them, but states they exists.
---
Next gen (Wii U, XB1, PS4) FTW!!!!
#13CammyApplePosted 8/24/2013 7:29:03 AM
knightimex posted...
Knight2520 posted...
There are specific language keyboards available. I have one for Japanese (from Google) and it works great. I'm not familiar with all of the special characters in German, but you can get the vowels with diacritical marks in just the default keyboard, as Zukkus said.

There is about 4000 konji characters.

Have fun with that.

As usual you have no idea what you're talking about, young troll.

I have a Japaneses dictionary that says otherwise.

doesn't show them, but states they exists.

"The number of possible characters is disputed; in principle any Chinese character can be used as kanji, which often occurs with proper names or names of food. The Daikanwa Jiten contains about 50,000 characters, and this was thought to be comprehensive, but more recent mainland Chinese dictionaries, such as the Yiti Zidian dictionary published in 2004 contain 100,000 or more characters,[citation needed] many consisting of obscure variants. The vast majority of these are not in common use in either Japan or China; as discussed below, approximately 2,000 to 3,000 characters are in common use in Japan, a few thousand more find occasional use, and a total of about 13,000 characters can be encoded in various Japanese Industrial Standards for kanji."
---
#14arleasPosted 8/24/2013 11:51:54 AM
The trick is not to look at it like "there's thousands and thousands of individual characters". It'd be like arguing that the English language is made up of thousands and thousands of words and how the hell are you going to memorize all of those? I guess if you had no idea how to spell then it would basically be the same as memorizing the "Shape" of the word.

Yeah obviously Kanji doesn't make as much sense as "c-a-t spells CAT" but you can look at the kanji for Cat and see
http://i.imgur.com/iA3Ixx3.jpg it's made up of 3 radicals. Oddly enough, it's a dog radical to the left, a grass radical on top to the right and the one for field underneath the grass radical.

Trying to learn Kanji without learning the radicals is trying to learn to read without knowing the alphabet. I started finding it much easier after I started recognizing the radicals (especially in cases where it can give a clue to the meaning of the word).

Anyway, I'm definitely going to check out the furigana reader.. I don't have as much use for the japanese input on the phone but It could come in handy too...
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#15CammyApplePosted 8/25/2013 8:57:46 AM
arleas posted...
The trick is not to look at it like "there's thousands and thousands of individual characters". It'd be like arguing that the English language is made up of thousands and thousands of words and how the hell are you going to memorize all of those? I guess if you had no idea how to spell then it would basically be the same as memorizing the "Shape" of the word.

Yeah obviously Kanji doesn't make as much sense as "c-a-t spells CAT" but you can look at the kanji for Cat and see
http://i.imgur.com/iA3Ixx3.jpg it's made up of 3 radicals. Oddly enough, it's a dog radical to the left, a grass radical on top to the right and the one for field underneath the grass radical.

Trying to learn Kanji without learning the radicals is trying to learn to read without knowing the alphabet. I started finding it much easier after I started recognizing the radicals (especially in cases where it can give a clue to the meaning of the word).

Anyway, I'm definitely going to check out the furigana reader.. I don't have as much use for the japanese input on the phone but It could come in handy too...

This is mostly accurate. The other biggest problem people encounter is not recognizing context. Because the same kanji can have drastically different meanings in different contexts.

But keep at it. Children generally learn a couple hundred a "year" IIRC. So don't try and get them all in a summer. You're brain will leak out of your nose.
---