This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

best xcom style game?

#1EvilBookwormPosted 8/24/2013 6:59:00 AM
I tried the new Bureau xcom game. Not great, but it did make me want to play one of the TBS xcom games again. I've beaten the original, years ago, and enemy unknown. I've heard of UFO extraterrestrials, and the after... whatever games, I wanted to know, did any of them, or this xenonauts, make for a better/or nearly as good game, as the graphics for the original are dated, even to my nostalgic eyes.

Also posted on com eu board.
---
Death is a journey. The funeral is the last stop. The coffin is the train, the reaper the conductor. Me, I'm the guy who sells you a ticket at half price...
#2SlaynPosted 8/24/2013 7:02:19 AM
Wasteland 2.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#3x_stevey_xPosted 8/24/2013 7:19:22 AM
fallout tactics on sale for 2.50 on steam atm
#4xanthan1Posted 8/24/2013 7:27:24 AM(edited)
Well EU is getting an expansion in a few months I think.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/xcom-enemy-within-announced-tons-of-details

TL:DR
40 new maps, alien crash sites in places OTHER then forests, mechasectoids, mechasoldiers, gene enhancement, more grenade types, rebalancing skill trees to make formally underpowered ones useful and reducing effectiveness of some, new second wave options(like a randomized skill tree), you can shut up Drs. Vahlen and Shen, and a button to finally strip soldiers not being actively used of equipment.

Also as the above guy said, Fallout Tactics.
#5BogePosted 8/24/2013 7:48:16 AM(edited)
Jagged Alliance 2 - Hands down the best of the genre.
Silent Storm
Fallout tactics
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#6gsf4lyfePosted 8/24/2013 8:09:36 AM
xanthan1 posted...
Well EU is getting an expansion in a few months I think.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/xcom-enemy-within-announced-tons-of-details

TL:DR
40 new maps, alien crash sites in places OTHER then forests, mechasectoids, mechasoldiers, gene enhancement, more grenade types, rebalancing skill trees to make formally underpowered ones useful and reducing effectiveness of some, new second wave options(like a randomized skill tree), you can shut up Drs. Vahlen and Shen, and a button to finally strip soldiers not being actively used of equipment.

Also as the above guy said, Fallout Tactics.

How that remove item button wasn't a feature to begin with is ****ing astounding
---
FX-6300 @ 4.3ghz | GTX 760 | 970 extreme3 | 8GB DDR3 1600
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#7Fenix7Posted 8/24/2013 8:17:03 AM
valkyria chronicles for the PS3
valkyria chronicles 2 for the PSP
#8TowerBooks3192Posted 8/24/2013 8:30:07 AM
An old one but I think it was called Silent Storm or something. You could find it on GOG
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#9Solis_InvictusPosted 8/24/2013 9:05:57 AM
I've played UFO: Aftermath and Aftershock, and Afterlight... there are three of them. I'd say Aftermath is worth checking out, but Aftershock and Afterlight are pretty junky.

The first game, Aftermath, is probably the best. it has pretty good balance, combined with a story I haven't seen anywhere else in my life. I won't spoil anything, but it is the best alien invasion plot I've ever come across. The story is told almost entirely from the results of the research you conduct on enemy corpses and equipment. There are a few white-knuckle missions, one in particular that I still remember quite well from many years ago.

Aftershock and Afterlight are buggy and quite underwhelming. In BOTH games, I was unable to complete them because of some kind of broken even trigger or something that just never let me progress to the next part of the story. I didn't know that until I'd poured hours into reclaiming all possible territory in the hope that it would make the next event happen, though...